Carey Van Lue
OCT. 24, 2023 II NATIONWIDE ARENA II VS. ANAHEIM DUCKS
TV: Bally Sports Ohio, Bally Sports+, Bally Sports App
Jeff Rimer (play-by-play), Jody Shelley (analyst), Dave Maetzold (reporter)
Radio: 97.1 The Fan
Bob McElligott (play-by-play), Dylan Tyrer (host)
Ducks to Watch
« C Leo Carlsson, who was selected second overall in the 2023 NHL Draft, scored a goal in his NHL debut on October 19th and has 1-0-1 in two appearances in 2023-24.
« C Mason McTavish has posted 2-2-4 in his first five games one year after completing his rookie campaign with 17-26-43 in 80 contests.
« RW Troy Terry, who has skated in each of the past two NHL All-Star Games, has notched back-to-back seasons with 20-plus goals, 30-plus assists and 60-plus points, combining for 60-68-128 in 145 games over that span.
« Columbus has gone 30-28-7 in 65 all-time meetings vs. Anaheim, including 16-13-3 at home.
« The Ducks have won the last four in the series overall (CBJ; 0-3-1) and at the Blue Jackets (CBJ; 0-2-2).
« CBJ have picked up points in six of the last eight contests played at Nationwide Arena since Mar. 24, 2015 (4-2-2).
« Four of the last five games played in Ohio have been 2-1 finals with the lone exception the most recent game on Jan. 19, 2023 (5-3 ANA win).
« Four of the past seven contests played at Nationwide Arena have been decided after regulation with each team winning in overtime and the shootout over that stretch.
« Five of the last seven games played at Columbus have been decided by a single goal.
« Columbus has killed off all 31 Anaheim power play attempts over the last 13 games in the all-time series dating back to Feb. 11, 2016.
« The Blue Jackets own four of the seven shutouts in the all-time series, including the most recent one recorded by Sergei Bobrovsky on Oct. 28, 2016 (35 saves in 4-0 W at ANA).
This Season (CBJ, 0-0-0)
« Oct. 24, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (6:30 p.m. ET)
« Feb. 21, 2024 – at Anaheim (10 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. Ducks
« D Jake Bean – 2-0-2 in 3 career GP with both goals scored in the most recent meeting on Apr. 17, 2022 at Anaheim.
« D Adam Boqvist – 1-5-6 in 7 career GP, including assists in each of his last three games against the Ducks and 0-3-3 in his last three home contests.
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 5-24-29 in 31 career GP, including assists in each of his last five home games against the club (1-7-8) as well as his last seven outings overall (1-10-11) and 10 of the past 11 (1-13-14).
« F Patrik Laine – 3-6-9 in 12 career GP, including points in five of his last seven appearances overall (2-5-7).
« C Jack Roslovic – 5-3-8 in 11 career GP, including points in two of his last three games (1-1-2).
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets swept their first back-to-back set of the season last week, earning a 3-1 win over Calgary on Friday and 5-4 overtime win at Minnesota on Saturday. The last time the club swept a home-road back-to-back set was Jan. 28-29, 2021, defeating Florida 3-2 in a shootout before downing Chicago 2-1.
- Saturday’s win at Minnesota kicked off a stretch of 7-of-11 games played away from Nationwide Arena through November 12th. The club also visits Montreal (Oct. 26), Dallas (Oct. 30), Washington (Nov. 4), Florida (Nov. 6), Detroit (Nov. 11) and the NY Rangers (Nov. 12).
- Tuesday’s contest against Anaheim closes out a stretch of three consecutive games against the Western Conference from October 20-24. The team will play five of its next six and eight of 10 against the Eastern Conference.
- The contest against the Ducks is the first of 16 Tuesday games (five at home) for the Blue Jackets this season but only one of two played in the first two months (Nov. 14 vs. Pittsburgh).
- The Blue Jackets killed off all five opponent power play attempts during the back-to-back set last week.
- Columbus finished with 54 shots on goal in Saturday’s 5-4 overtime win at Minnesota. It was tied for the fourth-most in a single game in franchise history and was the second-most in a win, trailing only 60 shots recorded in a 3-2 SOW at Arizona on Dec. 3, 2016.
- CBJ outshot Minnesota 54-28 in Saturday’s victory. The +26-shot differential was tied for the third-highest in a win in franchise history, trailing only +28 (44-16) recorded in a 2-0 win vs. Detroit on Feb. 7, 2020 and +27 (47-20) in a 3-1 victory over Nashville on Apr. 27, 2013. It tied the record for largest shot differential in a road victory after also finishing +26 (60-34) in a 3-2 SO win at Arizona on Dec. 3, 2016.
- Blue Jackets blueliners combined for 1-2-3 in Friday’s victory over Calgary and 0-5-5 in Saturday’s win at Minnesota. They have now combined for 3-10-13 in five games this season, ranking fifth-T in the NHL in scoring from the blueline in 2023-24.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- After being held scoreless in the season opener, RW Justin Danforth has recorded 3-1-4 in the last four contests and has tied his career-high goal streak with goals in each of the last two contests (2-1-3).
- C Adam Fantilli notched his first career NHL goal in the third period of Saturday’s win at Minnesota and now has 1-1-2 in five games this season. Fantilli, who was selected third overall in the 2023 NHL Draft, became the third freshman in NCAA history to win the Hobey Baker Award as the NCAA’s top collegiate player, joining Paul Kariya (1993) and Jack Eichel (2015) after leading all players in goals and points with 30-35-65 in 36 games at the University of Michigan in 2022-23.
- Seven-time NHL All-Star LW Johnny Gaudreau has collected 0-3-3 in the first five games of the season after setting up the overtime winner on Saturday. His 36 career points recorded in overtime are tied for the fifth-most in NHL history. He led the club in assists, points and multi-point efforts with 21-53-74 and 20 multi-point outings in 80 games in his first season with the Blue Jackets in 2022-23.
- C Boone Jenner, who recorded his second career hat trick on Oct. 14 vs. the NY Rangers, leads the club in goals and points with 4-1-5 in five games this season. He led CBJ in goals in 2022-23 with 26-19-45 in 68 outings.
- RW Kirill Marchenko has collected 0-3-3 in five games this season and is already one assist shy of tying his total from his rookie campaign in 2022-23 (21-4-25 in 59 GP). He finished tied for the NHL lead among rookies in power play goals and third in goals while setting franchise rookie records in both categories last season.
- D Ivan Provorov has registered 0-4-4 in the last four contests, including assists in each of the last two outings.
- F Jack Roslovic has registered points in each of the last two contests (1-1-2) after setting up the game-winning goal by Justin Danforth on Friday and scoring his third career overtime winner on Saturday.
- D Zach Werenski, who returned to action on Friday after missing two games with a quad contusion, collected in assists in both games of the back-to-back set (1-2-3).
- CBJ have two 19-year-old rookies on the team with C Adam Fantilli (2023 third overall pick) and D David Jiricek (2022 sixth overall selection).
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- LW Kent Johnson is eight games from 100 for his NHL career (17-28-45, 92 GP).
- F Patrik Laine is one goal from 200 for his NHL career (199-182-381, 466 GP).
- D Andrew Peeke is four games away from his 200th NHL game (9-25-34, 196 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is eight points from 200 and 10 games from 400 for his NHL career (72-120-192, 390 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (back strain) is on the Injured/Non Roster List on Oct. 9 (Week-to-Week); 5 games
- G Daniil Tarasov (knee) is on the Injured/Non Roster List on Oct. 9 (Week-to-Week); 5 games
- F Patrik Laine (upper body) (Day-to-Day); 1 game
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 15