By Carey Van Lue
Stars to Watch
« C Roope Hintz has registered 5-6-11 and three multi-point efforts in ten contests this season, tying for the club lead in goals and points.
« G Jake Oettinger has earned points in six of eight games this season with a 5-2-1 record, 2.11 GAA and .933 SV% and is 8-0-1 with a 1.75 GAA and .927 SV% in nine career appearances against Columbus.
« C Joe Pavelski (5-6-11, 11 GP) is tied for the Stars’ lead in goals and points with points in seven of 11 appearances this season and has registered 19-21-40 in 48 career outings against CBJ.
« Columbus has gone 32-34-7 in all-time games against the Stars, including 17-15-5 at home.
« The Blue Jackets are 2-3-0 in the last five meetings, but the Stars have won six of the last eight contests since Mar. 14, 2021 (CBJ; 2-5-1).
« CBJ have killed off all 13 Stars power play chances over the nine games in the series with the club not allowing a power play opportunity in two of the contests (Mar. 13, 2021 and Dec. 19, 2022).
« CBJ have registered points in 12 of the last 15 meetings at Nationwide Arena dating back to Jan. 28, 2013 (10-3-2).
« The winning team has scored four or more goals in each of the last two meetings and five of the past seven since Apr. 15, 2021.
« Dallas owns seven of the nine shutouts in the all-time series with Mathieu Garon (Jan. 10, 2010) and Sergei Bobrovsky (Oct. 22, 2016) recording CBJ’s shutouts.
« The Stars have recorded all three hat tricks in the series (MR: Tyler Seguin on Oct. 14, 2014), while the Blue Jackets have been awarded both penalty shots (MR: Emil Bemstrom unsuccessful on Mar. 13, 2021).
This Season (CBJ, 0-1-0)
« Oct. 30, 2023 – at DAL 5, CBJ 3
« Nov. 9, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (7:30 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. Stars
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 10-8-18 in 23 career GP, including points in eight of his 12 career home contests against the Stars (6-3-9).
« F Jack Roslovic – 2-11-13 in 21 career GP, including assists in each of his last six home games vs. the club (1-8-9).
« D Damon Severson – 2-6-8 in 16 career GP, including points in two-straight (1-1-2) and five of his last six appearances against the Stars (1-4-5).
« D Zach Werenski – 4-8-12 in 16 career GP, including 3-3-6 with points in four of his last five games against the club, goals in each of his last three games played at home (3-2-5) and points in each of his last four home outings (3-3-6) as well as picking up points in seven of his nine contests at Nationwide Arena in his career (4-6-10).
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets fell in both games of their two-game road trip, falling 2-1 at Washington on Saturday and 5-4 in overtime at Florida on Monday.
- CBJ have played five one-goal games this season (1-1-3), including in each of the last two.
- The team is in a stretch of eight-of-10 games played against Eastern Conference teams from Oct. 26-Nov. 14. The only two games against the Western Conference during that stretch are against Dallas (Oct. 30 at Dallas, Nov. 9 at CBJ).
- The club has killed off all 13 opponent power play opportunities over the past five contests.
- CBJ rank eighth in the NHL in penalty kill percentage this season at 86.8 pct. (33-of-38) and rank second in penalty kill percentage since Oct. 10 (92.6 pct.), killing off 25-of-27 opponent power play chances over the last nine games.
- Columbus posted the third-highest total of blocked shots in a game this season with 30 in Monday’s game at Florida. The club ranks second in the NHL in blocked shots this season (239) and blocked shots-per-60 minutes (19.61).
- Blue Jackets blueliners collected four assists in Monday’s game at Florida and have combined to rank eighth-T among NHL defensive units in assists and 10th in points with 5-24-29 in 12 games this season.
- CBJ play their fourth (1-1-1) of sixteen Thursday contests this season against Dallas on Nov. 9. It’s also the third of nine Thursday home games played during 2023-24.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- C Adam Fantilli, the 2023 third overall pick, has registered 2-4-6 in 12 GP this season to rank seventh-T among League rookies in assists, eighth-T in goals and 11th in points.
- LW Johnny Gaudreau notched his first goal of the season this past Thursday against Tampa and has 1-4-5 in 12 games this season. In his first season with the Blue Jackets in 2022-23, he led the club in assists, points, and multi-point games with 21-53-74 and 20 multi-point outings in 80 contests.
- D Erik Gudbranson has posted points in two of the last three games (1-2-3) after notching the game winner on Nov. 2 vs. Tampa Bay and picking up his fourth career multi-assist outing with two assists on Monday at Florida. He leads the team and ranks eighth-T among NHL skaters in blocked shots this season with 33.
- C Boone Jenner, who has registered goals in two of the last three games (2-1-3) after scoring at Florida on Monday, leads the club in goals and ranks second in points with 6-2-8 in 12 outings this season. The Jackets’ captain has won 60% or more of his draws in seven-of-12 games this season and ranks seventh in the NHL for faceoff wins and 11th in faceoff percentage, winning 133-of-225 (59.1 pct.).
- RW Kirill Marchenko has tied his career high (Jan. 23-27, 2023; 4-0-4) with points in three-straight games (2-1-3). With 2-4-6 in ten appearances this season, he has already tied his career high in assists after posting 21-4-24 in 59 contests during his 2022-23 rookie campaign.
- D Ivan Provorov has collected assists in eight of 12 games played this season (0-9-9). He leads the team in assists and points, while ranking seventh-T among NHL blueliners in assists.
- C Cole Sillinger has recorded assists in three of the last four outings.
- LW Dmitri Voronkov has posted points in four of his first six NHL games (2-2-4), including three-straight from Oct. 30-Nov. 4 (2-1-3). He became the third player in team history to record four or more points in their first five NHL games, joining Zach Werenski (2-3-5; Oct. 13-25, 2016) and David Vyborny (3-1-4; Oct. 7-15, 2000).
- D Zach Werenski, who missed the final 69 games of the 2022-23 season due to a shoulder injury, has collected 1-5-6 in his last nine outings.
- CBJ have two 19-year-old rookies on the team with C Adam Fantilli (2023 third overall pick) and D David Jiricek (2022 sixth overall selection).
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is six games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 94 GP)
- LW Johnny Gaudreau is six games from 700 for his NHL career (232-456-688, 694 GP).
- C Boone Jenner (176-161-337, 669 GP) is five games from tying LW Rick Nash (289-258-547, 674 GP) for the most career games played in CBJ history.
- F Patrik Laine is one goal from 200 for his NHL career (199-182-381, 466 GP).
- D Andrew Peeke is three games away from his 200th NHL game (9-26-35, 197 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is three points from 200 and three games from 400 for his NHL career (73-124-197, 397 GP).
- D Zach Werenski (80-171-251, 426 GP) is two assists from tying D Seth Jones (50-173-223, 381 GP) for most career assists by a defenseman in franchise history.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- G Daniil Tarasov (knee) is on the Injured/Non Roster List on Oct. 9 (Week-to-Week); 12 games
- F Patrik Laine (upper body) is on Injured Reserve retroactive to Oct. 20 (Day-to-Day); 8 games
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 30
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS