By Danielle Daniels
Ryan Day OSU FTB coach Maryland week Thursday Zoom press conference 10 5 2023.mp3
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State Buckeyes (4-0 overall and 1-0 in the Big Ten Conference East Division) return to action Saturday at Ohio Stadium with a 12:10 kickoff against the undefeated Maryland Terrapins (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten East).
First and Ten
- This is the first game between the two teams where both are undefeated.
- Ohio State is coming off its “off” week. The team practiced Tuesday through Thursday last week and had Friday through Sunday off.
- This off week break came in the wake of the team’s physical, 17-14, victory over No. 9 Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., Sept. 23.
- Ohio State is 8-0 all-time vs. Maryland; 4-0 at Ohio Stadium and 4-0 in College Park.
- The games have all been high-scoring affairs with Ohio State averaging 57.3 points per game against Maryland and the Terrapins countering with 22.6 points vs. Ohio State.
- Ohio State is the all-time leader in Big Ten wins with 543 in this, it’s 111th season of Big Ten play. Maryland is in its 10th season of Big Ten Conference play.
- It’s Hall of Fame week on campus with 14 Ohio State greats entering the Athletics Hall of Fame.
1912: This weekend represents the 111th Homecoming Weekend at Ohio State. OSU law professor and alumni George Rightmire came up with the first Homecoming, called “Ohio State Day” in 1912.
13: Lathan Ransom recorded career highs in total tackles – 13 – and solo tackles – 7 – to lead the Ohio State defense in its 17-14 win over Notre Dame. He was named Big Ten defensive player of the week.
.739: Ryan Day’s .739 win pct. against Top 25 opponents – his teams are 17-6 – is the best among active coaches with at least 10 such games. Kirby Smart (.717) and Nick Saban (.680) are Nos. 2 and 3.
32: Ryan Day’s teams are 32-0 vs. unranked opponents – the losses are to teams ranked Nos. 3, 1, 12, 5, 3 and 1, respectively – and his teams are 32-2 vs. Big Ten Conference competition.
Homecoming Fast Facts
- In addition to the Hall of Fame inductions, Ohio State will also be celebrating Homecoming on Saturday.
- This will mark Ohio State’s 111th Homecoming Weekend.
- It will be the 101st Homecoming game in program history.
- Ohio State is 75-19-5 in Homecoming games, a won-loss mark that does not include the 2010 win.
11-3 in Big Noon Games
- Ohio State has an 11-3 record in games that FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff Show is on site (either home or away).
- This is Ohio State’s ninth time hosting Big Noon since the travelling pregame show originated in 2019.
After an Off Week…
- Ryan Day’s teams are 10-0 in regular season games where there has been more than one week to prepare.
- This record includes season openers. Seven of the games have been against Big Ten Conference opponents.
- Ohio State is sixth nationally in total defense allowing 255.5 yards per game. Penn State and Michigan are also outstanding defensively: ranking Nos. 1 and 4, respectively.
- Ohio State is allowing just 149 passing yards per game (5th nationally) and just 8.5 points (2nd).
- The 34 points allowed is the fewest through four games since the 2006 and 2007 teams allowed just 32 and 29 points, respectively.