Flyer Three-Game Winning Streak Snapped
ST. LOUIS – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team trailed by nine at halftime, and could get no closer than six in the second half, falling 72-61 at Saint Louis. The loss snapped UD’s three-game win streak and dropped the Flyers to 15-8 overall and 7-3 in the Atlantic 10. Saint Louis improved to 17-6 and 7-2 in conference.
Kobe Elvis led the Flyers with 20 points.
1st Half: Saint Louis 34, Dayton 25
- Dayton opened the scoring on a three by Kobe Elvis, but Saint Louis scored the next nine points.
- UD went nearly four minutes between points and six minutes between its next basket, but still only trailed 17-10 halfway through the period.
- SLU’s largest lead of the half was 15 (28-13) at the 5:16 mark.
- The Flyers made four of their last six field goals but Billiken point guard Yuri Collins hit a jumper at the buzzer to make it a nine-point game.
2nd Half: Saint Louis 72, Dayton 61
- Dayton trailed by six (37-31) at the first media timeout at the 15:38 mark.
- Seven straight points from Koby Elvis cut it to six again (46-40) with 12:26 left.
- UD got it back to a six-point game once more at the 9:58 mark (50-44).
- Saint Louis’ largest lead was 17 (67-50) with 3:58 to go.
- Drew Swerlein scored his first point of the season on a free throw with 26 seconds remaining to make the final 72-61.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Kobe Elvis’s 20 points gave him two consecutive games with a career-high 20 points.
- He was the only Flyer in double figures.
- DaRon Holmes II led UD with seven rebounds.
- Malachi Smith was Dayton’s top assist man with four.
- Toumani Camara had three steals to lead UD in that category.
- Saint Louis shot 48.9% FG, 44.4% 3-pt., and 85.7% FT. Dayton was 41.5%/ 38.5%/52.2% across the board.
- Dayton is home against Duquesne Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS