Four Musketeers hit double figures
CINCINNATI – A strong second half effort for the Musketeers, led by 14 points for Paul Scruggs, helped Xavier erase a halftime deficit, but No. 21 Xavier was unable to hold off DePaul, falling 69-65 at Cintas Center on Saturday.
Scruggs finished with 21 points for the game, leading four Musketeers in double figures. Jack Nunge added 12, Colby Jones added 11 and Zach Freemantle had 10 as Xavier moved to 16-6 on the season and 6-5 in BIG EAST play.
FIRST HALF RECAP
- DePaul took the lead on an opening three, taking a 7-3 lead with 12:57 remaining in the first half.
- Xavier came back to tie the game at 7-7 before DePaul used a 7-0 run to go ahead 14-7 with 10 minutes before halftime.
- The two team traded baskets until DePaul went on another 7-0 run to take a 13-point lead 28-15, with five minutes left in the half.
- The Blue Demons maintained a 11-to-13 point lead until Xavier outscored DePaul 8-2 in the final two minutes to go into halftime down seven, 34-27.
- Jack Nunge led Xavier with 10 points, shooting 3-of-4 from the floor.
- Paul Scruggs scored seven points to go with three rebounds, matching for team high.
- Colby Jones, Jack Nunge and Zach Freemantle each had three boards as both teams finished with 17 rebounds in the first half.
- Both teams connected on three outside shots, with Xavier connecting on 3-of-8 from three and DePaul connecting on 3-of-13, but the Blue Demons held a 18-12 advantage on points in the paint.
SECOND HALF RECAP
- Eight points from Zach Freemantle helped the Musketeers start the second half on a 13-2 run to move in front, leading by as many as five, 41-36, in the first six minutes of the half.
- DePaul responded with a 13-0 run to take the 49-41 lead with 10 minutes to play.
- Paul Scruggs hit a three to cut the lead back to five and the two teams traded baskets over the next three minutes, with six Musketeer points coming from Dwon Odom.
- Xavier used a 4-0 run to cut it back to a one- possession game but DePaul responded with 6-0 run of its own, going back ahead 65-57 with three minutes to play.
- Six-straight Xavier points, all coming from Paul Scruggs pulled the Musketeers within two going into the final minute, but the Blue Demons connected on four free throws to set the final score at 69-65 in favor of DePaul.
- Paul Scruggs had 14 points in the second half, shooting 50 percent from the floor including a 3-of-6 clip from three.
- Colby Jones and Zach Freemantle each added eight second half points.
- Xavier shot over 50 percent from the floor (14-of-27) while limiting DePaul to 46.4 percent (13-of-28) but DePaul finished with a 16-13 advantage on the boards.
- Paul Scruggs led Xavier with 21 points after scoring 14 in the second half.
- Jack Nunge added 12 points for the Musketeers, going 4-of-6 from the floor.
- Colby Jones finished with 11 points, going 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Zach Freemantle scored 10 after adding eight in the second half.
- Dwon Odom went 4-of-4 from the floor for eight points and dished out five assists.
- Jack Nunge led Xavier with seven rebounds but the Blue Demons finished with a 33-30 advantage on the boards.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS