Click here to download a PDF with more than 20 pages of #NHLStats pertaining to each NHL Expansion Draft.
NHL EXPANSION DRAFT NOTABLES
* The oldest player to date selected in an NHL expansion draft is Bobby Hull, picked at age 40 by the Jets in 1979. Hull played 18 games with Winnipeg in 1979-80, notching 4-6—10.
* Two 37-year-old goaltenders have been claimed in an expansion draft: Terry Sawchuk by the Kings in 1967 and Mike Vernon by the Wild in 2000. Sawchuk played 36 games with Los Angeles, while Minnesota traded Vernon to Calgary the day of the expansion draft.
* The youngest player to date selected in an NHL expansion draft is Mike Corrigan, picked at age 21 years, 146 days by the Kings in 1968.
* The youngest goaltenders to date selected in an NHL expansion draft are Billy Smith and Dan Bouchard, who share the same birthday (Dec. 12, 1950) and were selected by the Islanders and Flames, respectively, in the 1972 expansion draft at age 21 years, 177 days.
* Among players selected in NHL expansion drafts from 1967 through 2000, the last to play an NHL game was Tomas Vokoun (June 7, 2013 w/ PIT). Selected from Montreal by Nashville in 1998, Vokoun spent eight seasons with the Predators and left as the franchise leader in regular season wins and games played, titles he held until 2013-14 and 2015-16, respectively.
* Six players selected in an NHL expansion draft have gone on to play at least 10 seasons with the franchise that chose them (min. 1 GP in regular season or playoffs): goaltender Billy Smith (17 w/ NYI), defenseman Joe Watson (11 w/ PHI), forward Gary Dornhoefer (11 w/ PHI), forward Alain Cote (10 w/ QUE), forward Bill Goldsworthy (10 w/ MNS) and goaltender Bernie Parent (10 w/ PHI).
* Goaltender Billy Smith made the most playoff appearances with the franchise that selected him in an NHL expansion draft as he guided the Islanders to 13 playoff berths and four Stanley Cup wins. The highest such total among skaters is nine, bydefenseman Joe Watson and forward Gary Dornhoefer with the Flyers.
* A total of 38 players have been selected in multiple NHL expansion drafts, including two chosen three times: goaltender Frederic Chabot (1992 TBL, 1998 NSH, 2000 CBJ) and forward Jim Thomson (1991 MNS, 1992 OTT, 1993 ANA).
* Thirty players selected in an NHL expansion draft have since become head coaches in the League, including two who currently hold that title: Mike Sullivan of the Penguins and Bob Boughner of the Sharks (both selected by NSH in 1998).
* Seven players selected in an NHL expansion draft have since become general managers in the League, including current GMs Tom Fitzgerald of the Devils (selected by FLA in 1993) and Kevyn Adams of the Sabres (selected by CBJ in 2000). The others: Lou Angotti (1967 PHI; GM w/ STL), Gerry Meehan (1970 BUF; GM w/ BUF), Billy MacMillan (1972 AFM; GM w/ CLR/NJD), Pat Quinn (1970 VAN, 1972 AFM; GM w/ TOR & VAN) and Nick Beverley (1979 HFD; GM w/ LAK). Angotti is the GM of record for only one regular season game.
* Twenty players have been selected in an NHL expansion draft by a franchise based in their birth state or province, most recent in 2000 when the Minnesota Wild selected Darby Hendrickson (Richfield, Minn.) and Jeff Nielsen (Grand Rapids, Minn.).
ALSO INCLUDED IN THE ATTACHMENT:
- Player Stats Before Expansion Draft Selection (Previous Season and Career; includes various charts)
- Player Stats with Selecting Franchise (Inaugural Season and Career; includes various charts)
- NHL Expansion Draft Summaries
- NHL Expansion Draft Locations
- Career NHL Regular Season Statistics for Available Skaters
- Career NHL Regular Season Statistics for Available Goaltenders
- Career Individual NHL Awards Won by Available Players (Skaters and Goaltenders)
- Career Stanley Cup Wins by Available Players