Fri, Mar 19, 2021
OXFORD, Ohio—Bolstered by a career-high 57 assists from senior Morgan Seaman and a career-best 38 digs from senior Abigail Huser, the Miami University volleyball team captured a 3-1 win against Eastern Michigan University on Friday night at Millett Hall, 25-18, 25-21, 21-25, 25-22. Miami moves to 9-8 on the season and in Mid-American Conference play, while the Eagles drop to 7-9.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Miami opened up a quick 7-1 lead in the first set off a balanced offensive attack and led from start to finish. Miami pushed its lead to double figures off a block by senior Sarah Wojick and freshman Maggie McCrary, 24-14. The Eagles rattled off four unanswered before junior Sophie Riemersma put down a big kill to hand Miami the first set, 25-18. Wojick and junior Gaby Harper each recorded four kills in the set, while the RedHawks hit .356 as a team.
- In the second set, Miami took an early 7-3 lead, spurred by a pair of Wojick kills and a service ace from Huser. The Eagles came back to take a 9-8 lead. The RedHawks pushed ahead to an 18-13 lead, but a 6-0 run by the Eagles handed EMU a 19-18 edge. Three kills from Riemersma and a block by Harper and McCrary helped lift Miami to a 25-21 win in the second set.
- Miami led by as many as three early in the third set. With the Eagles holding a 13-10 advantage, Miami rattled off three unanswered points to knot the set. The teams went back and forth until the Eagles built a 21-18 lead. Miami pulled within 21-20 off a Harper kill, but EMU outscored Miami 4-1 down the stretch to take the third set, 25-21.
- The Eagles took a 14-11 lead in the fourth set. Miami chiseled away and used a 5-0 surge powered by two kills each from Riemersma and senior Avarie Powell and one from Harper to push ahead of EMU, 21-19. The Eagles closed within one at 23-22, but a kill from Wojick set up match point, and sophomore Allyson Severance served up an ace to clinch the fourth set and the match for the RedHawks, 25-22.
- In addition to her career-high 57 assists, Seaman also amassed 16 digs for the RedHawks.
- Riemersma led the team with 18 kills.
- Wojick and Powell had 14 kills apiece.
- Harper added 13 kills and 15 digs.
Miami returns to the court to host Eastern Michigan in the second of two weekend matches at 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 20.
COURTESY MIAMI ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I?¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site 🙂