By Danielle Daniels
Ohio State vs. Miami (Ohio)
Date: December 6, 2023
Time: 7 p.m.
Venue: Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Game Notes: Ohio State | Miami (Ohio)
Rosters:Ohio State | Miami (Ohio)
Season Stats:Ohio State | Miami (Ohio)
TICKETS: Season, single-game, group and mini plans are available men’s basketball games this season. Use promo code TMN241 to unlock a special Buy One, Get One holiday offer! Visit OhioStateBuckeyes.com or call the Ohio State Athletics Ticket Office in the Schottenstein Center at 1-800-GOBUCKS.
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State jumps back into non-conference play with a midweek game against in-state foe Miami (Ohio). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be streamed exclusively on B1G+. Joey Feerer, superstar Joey Lane and Matt Goldman will call the action.
- This will be the 10th meeting overall and the seventh consecutive meeting in Columbus.
- The Buckeyes are 7-2 all-time against the Redhawks, a series which started with a Miami win back in 1916 in Oxford.
- Ohio State is looking for its best start to a season since pre-COVID (how long ago does that seem??), when it won 11 of its first 12 games to start the 2019-20 season.
- Ohio State has the longest active win streak in the Big Ten against unranked non-conference opponents. The current streak is at 30 and dates back to November of 2018.
- The Buckeyes are coming off an 84-74 win over Minnesota on Sunday in the Big Ten opener for each team. Bruce Thornton scored 26 points and Minnesota transfer Jamison Battle added a season-high 25 points on 4-of-6 from long range.
- Ohio State has won six consecutive games since its 73-66 loss to No. 17 Texas A&M on Nov. 10.
- Thornton and Battle are the first pair of Buckeye teammates with 25 or more points in the same game since David Lighty and Jared Sullinger each scored 26 points in the win at Florida in November of 2010. It hadn’t happened against a Big Ten opponent since 2000.
- Thornton has scored 25 or more points in back-to-back games for the first time in his career and he’s the first Buckeye since E.J. Liddell in 2021. Thornton is seventh in the country with a 5.14 assist-to-turnover ratio as he has 36 assists and just seven turnovers through eight games.
- Battle made at least one three-pointer in every game this season and has multiple threes in seven of the eight games. He has a pair of 20-point games and is third on the team at 14.0 ppg.
- Big men Felix Okpara and Zed Key have split time at the center position this season. So much so, they are separated by just 10 seconds of playing time. Okpara is third in the Big Ten with 20 blocked shots and has blocked a shot in 15 consecutive games. Key is shooting over 60 percent from the floor and is averaging 9.6 pints and 5.8 rebounds per game.
- The Buckeyes lead the Big Ten in both three-point percentage (40.2) and free throw percentage (77.2).