INDIANAPOLIS – After falling behind early, No. 13 Xavier tied up the game late, but fell, 69-67, at Butler on Friday evening. The Musketeers moved to 19-6 overall and 11-3 in BIG EAST play.
After trading baskets to start the game, Butler used an 11-0 run in the first 10 minutes of the game to go ahead 15-4, and maintained the double-digit lead through the first half. Xavier trailed by as many as 15 before going into the half down 35-21.
Xavier opened the second half on a 9-0 run, fueled by seven points from Colby Jones, to cut the Butler lead back to five less than four minutes in to the second half. After Butler extended the lead back to 12, a 7-0 Xavier run pulled Xavier back within five, with seven minutes to play. The Musketeers chipped away at the lead, tying the game at 67-67 in the final minutes of the game.
Butler took the lead in the final seconds and a Souley Boum three at the buzzer bounced off the rim to set the final score at 69-67.
- Colby Jones finished with 17 points after scoring 14 in the second half, including the first seven points of the second half. Jones also matched Jack Nunge with a team-high eight rebounds.
- Jack Nunge had 14 points and grabbed a team-high matching eight rebounds.
- Adam Kunkel finished with 13 points after going 4-of-5 from the floor for 10 points in the second half.
- Souley Boum finished with 12 points.
- Xavier had a 34-23 advantage on the boards.
- The Musketeers finished shooing 46.4 percent from the floor after shooting 60 percent in the second half.
Xavier remains on the road, traveling to Milwaukee, Wis., to face Marquette on Wednesday, Feb. 15. The Musketeers and the Golden Eagles are set for a 7:00 p.m tip on CBS Sports Network.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS