MICHIGAN STATE GAME NOTES
OHIO STATE GAME NOTES
The game will air live on CBS, with Andrew Catalon and Clark Kellogg calling all of the action. The TCF Bank Spartan Media Network radio call can be heard on one of 38 affiliates and on the web at MSUSpartans.com, with Will Tieman handling the play-by-play and Matt Steigenga serving as the color analyst. The game can also be heard on channels 382 on SiriusXM and channel 972 on the SiriusXM app.
About the Spartans
- Michigan State has won 10 of its last 15 games and enters the game on Sunday with a 15-9 overall record, including a 7-6 mark in Big Ten play.
- The Spartans are coming off a 63-58 win over Maryland at home on Tuesday night.
- The game against the Buckeyes on Sunday will be MSU’s third on the road in the last four games and the fourth in the last six games.
- Michigan State is 2-4 on the road in conference play, posting wins at Penn State and Wisconsin.
- In Big Ten Conference games, MSU is fourth in the league in scoring defense (64.38 ppg), second in FG% defense (41.6%) and first in 3-point defense (27.4%).
- The Spartans are ranked No. 41 in the latest NET rankings and No. 42 in KenPom.
- The Spartans, who played one of the nation’s toughest schedules in the country to open the season, have faced the No. 1 toughest slate of opposing offenses in the country, the 9th-toughest slate of opposing defenses and rank No. 3 overall in strength of schedule, per KenPom.com.
- The Spartans are ranked No. 3 in the NET Strength of Schedule.
- Through 24 games, senior guard Tyson Walker leads the team in scoring with 13.9 ppg, while adding 2.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists.
- Graduate forward Joey Hauser is second on the team in scoring with 13.3 points per game and leads the team with 7.1 rebounds per game, while shooting 47.1 percent from the floor and 41.0 percent from 3-point land.
- Junior guard A.J. Hoggard is third on the team with 12.3 points, fourth with 3.9 rebounds and leads the team (and is 2nd in the Big Ten) with 5.8 assists per game … Hoggard is one of four Division I players in the country averaging at least 12.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg and 5.7 apg.
- Senior forward Malik Hall, who played against Iowa on Jan. 26 after missing three games (11 overall this season), is fourth on the team with 9.2 ppg and third with 4.4 rpg.
- Sophomore guard Jaden Akins is averaging 8.9 points and 3.8 rebounds.
- Junior forward Mady Sissoko is averaging 5.6 points and is second on the team with 6.5 rebounds and sophomore Pierre Brooks II is averaging 4.5 points and 2.0 rebounds.
About Ohio State
- The game on Sunday night will be the 140th meeting all-time between Michigan State and Ohio State.
- MSU leads the head-to-head series, 78-61, and has won five of the last seven meetings and 11 of the last 15 overall.
- Michigan State is 25-41 in games played at Ohio State and the Buckeyes have won the last two at home.
- Ohio State won the lone meeting last year, 80-69, in Columbus.
- Tom Izzo is 33-18 in his career against Ohio State.
- Ohio State enters the game on Sunday afternoon with an 11-13 overall record and a 3-10 mark in the Big Ten Conference following a 69-63 loss on Thursday night to Northwestern at home.
- The Buckeyes have lost their last five games, four of them by fewer than 10 points.
- Ohio State is 8-4 at home, but just 2-4 in conference play, beating Rutgers (67-66) in December and Iowa (93-77).
- Freshman forward Brice Sensabaugh is seventh in the Big Ten in scoring (16.7 ppg) and ranks tied for 11th in 3-pointers made per game (2.0).
- In Big Ten games, Ohio State ranks eight in the league in scoring offense (68.31 ppg), 11th in scoring defense (70.62 ppg) and seventh in FG% defense (43.3%).
COURTESY MICHIGAN STATE ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS