Virginia Cavaliers Football News: 3 Players killed by former teammate

D’Sean Perry LB

Lavel Davis Jr. WR

Devin Chandler WR

November 14, 2022

Statements From Carla Williams, Tony Elliott

Virginia Head Football Coach Tony Elliott

“I cannot find the words to express the devastation and heartache that our team is feeling today after the tragic events last night that resulted in the deaths of Lavel, D’Sean and Devin, and the others who were injured. These were incredible young men with huge aspirations and extremely bright futures. Our hearts ache for their families, their classmates and their friends. These precious young men were called away too soon. We are all fortunate to have them be a part of our lives. They touched us, inspired us and worked incredibly hard as representatives of our program, university and community. Rest in peace, young men.”

Virginia athletics director Carla Williams

“As a mother of three children, I ache for the parents and family members. We lost three talented and bright young men. We will never see what their impact on the world would have been, but we will never forget their impact on us. I miss Lavel, D’Sean and Devin. I pray for peace, comfort and hope for their parents and loved ones. For their teammates, coaches and friends, I pray for strength and a peace that surpasses all understanding.”


*The shooting unfolded at about 10:30 p.m. at an on-campus parking garage. Gunfire erupted on a charter bus while students were returning from a class field trip to see a play.

*Former UVA Football Player Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. charged with three counts of second degree murder.

*According Charlottesville Police, Jones had been the subject of a prior hazing investigation. He also was facing administration disciplinary action for allegedly failing to report a February 2021 criminal incident involving a concealed weapon violation that happened outside of Charlottesville to school officials which is required of all the school’s students.

*There are two other UVA Football Players still hospitalized from the incident