Flyers Are Ranked 24th In AP, 25th In Coaches Polls To Start The Season
DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will open its 118th season of varsity basketball on Monday, Nov. 7 when Lindnwood visits UD Arena. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
The Flyers are ranked 24th in the first AP poll of 2021-22, 25th in the Coaches poll, and are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returns all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Monday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio and televised on Spectrum News 1. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• UD returns four players who earned post-season recognition from the Atlantic 10 last year. It was the fourth consecutive season Dayton had at least two players named all-conference.
• Rookie of the Year DaRon Holmes II was also the only freshman listed among the 18 players named first, second or third team All-Atlantic 10 (he was second team). A true freshman last year, he was also the only freshman named to the league’s All-Defensive team in 2021-22.
• 2022-23 captain Toumani Camara, who was Third Team All-Atlantic 10.
• Point guard Malachi Smith, who joined Holmes on the All-Rookie Team.
• Atlantic 10 Sixth Man of the Year Koby Brea.
• Holmes (first team), Camara (second team) and Smith (second team) are Preseason All-Atlantic 10 this year. Holmes and Smith were also on the Preseason All-Defensive Team.
• Dayton returns 163 of a possible 175 starts, 90.0% of possible minutes played, 89,4% of the scoring, 88.2% of the rebounding, 97.0% of the blocked shots, 89.5% of the assists, 91.3% of threes made, 87.8% of free throws made, etc. from 2021-22.
• Dayton’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• Holmes was first nationally among freshmen (and sixth overall) in dunks with 81 in 2021-22. Next were Memphis’ Jalen Duren (70) and Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren (57).
• After 35 career games, Holmes is already in the Flyer Top 10 in career blocks (7th, with 81).
• Holmes, the 2021 class 38th-rated recruit, is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with UD.
• Malachi Smith had one of the finest seasons by a UD freshman point guard in 2021-22. He was the first Flyer freshman named an in-season tournament MVP since Roosevelt Chapman was MVP of the UD Invitational in 1980. He set the UD record for steals by a freshman (59) and was second in assists by a freshman (175, 15 away from Juwan Staten’s 190).
• After making four of 24 three-pointers in the non-conference season (.167), Toumani Camara made 16 of 35 (.457) in A-10 play.
• Dayton hosts SMU on Friday, Nov.11. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS