The second game of a rare five-game home-stand to open the season for Ohio State has the Buckeyes, ranked No. 3 nationally, hosting the Arkansas State Red Wolves of the Sun Belt Conference in a 12 noon game Saturday at Ohio Stadium.
This is the first meeting between Ohio State and Arkansas State.
Arkansas State at No. 3 Ohio State • Saturday, Sept. 10 • When: Noon ET • Where: Ohio Stadium • TV: Big Ten Network
• Radio: 97.1 The Fan
- Ohio State head coach Ryan Day’s teams improved to 9-3 overall against non-conference teams, 14-4 vs. Top 25-ranked teams, 19-1 at home and 35-4 overall with the Buckeyes’ 21-10 victory over No. 5 Notre Dame last weekend.
- Arkansas State, which pounded Grambling, 58-3, is one of eight teams from the Sun Belt Conf. to post wins in Week 1.
- Ohio State has previously met on the gridiron and defeated Sun Belt schools Marshall – two times – and Troy.
- The Sun Belt Conference, which moved to FBS status in 2001, had a first: two teams in 2021 finished in the College Football Playoff final rankings: Coastal Carolina and Louisiana.
C.J. STROUD & COMPANY
- C.J. Stroud completed 70 pct. of his pass attempts vs. Notre Dame – 24 of 34 – for 223 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions.
- Emeka Egbuka, with star Jaxon Smith Njigba sidelined for much of the game, caught a career-high nine passes for 90 yards and his first collegiate touchdown.
- Xavier Johnson caught Stroud’s other TD pass: a 24-yarder with 12 seconds to play in the third quarter to give Ohio State a 14-10 lead.
- This was Johnson’s first TD reception as well.
- Marvin Harrison Jr. (5 for 56 yards) and Cade Stover (3 for 14 yards) each recorded career-high receptions.
SOME HARLEY HISTORY
- The Arkansas State coaching staff includes Rob Harley, an Ohio State graduate whose great, great uncle was Chic Harley, the first three-time All-American in Ohio State history.
- Record numbers of fans turned out to watch Chic play (1916-17-19) and the inadequacy of old Ohio Field magnified.
- Discussions quickly heated up and three years after Chic graduated – in 1922 – Ohio Stadium opened and it is still today revered as the “House that Harley Built.”
More on Harley … the Nephew
- Rob Harley is in his second year as Arkansas State’s assistant head coach/ defensive coordinator.
- He was a member of Ohio State’s 2002 national championship team, and he lettered three times (2003-04-05) before graduating with his degree in business administration. Harley’s coaching career includes positions at Ohio Dominican, Michigan State, Florida International and Pitt, in addition to ASU.
BY THE NUMBERS
WR Billy Anders (1965-67), E Charles Bolen (1915-17), All-America CB Shawn Springs (1994-96) and All-American P Tom Tupa (1984-87) will be enshrined into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame Friday.
Five players made their first start for Ohio State Saturday against Notre Dame: WR Emeka Egbuka, OG Donovan Jackson, TE Cade Stover (his first start at TE), SAF Tanner McCalister and DT Mike Hall.
Ohio State and Arkansas State have each won five respective conference championships since 2011: 2014-17-18-19-20 Big Ten titles for Ohio State and Sun Belt titles in 2011-12-13-15-16 for Arkansas State.
Ohio State Radio Network play-by-play broadcaster Paul Keels is celebrating 25 years at the mic this year. Analyst and former Ohio State All-American Jim Lachey celebrated 25 years in 2021.
ABOUT THAT DEFENSE
DEFENSE SHINES IN DEBUT
- The new 4-2-5 defense of coordinator Jim Knowles was outstanding, holding Notre Dame to just 256 total yards, including only 76 rushing yards, 12 first downs and no points in the second half.
- LB Tommy Eichenberg led with nine tackles, 3.0 tackles-for-loss and two quarterback sacks.
- SAF Lathan Ransom had seven tackles and LB Steele Chambers had five.
- DT Mike Hall Jr. was most impressive with four tackles, including two TFLs and a quarterback sack.
COURTESY OSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS