Wed, Aug 24, 2022
• The 127th season of Big Ten football will commence this weekend as Nebraska and Northwestern meet in Dublin at 12:30 p.m. ET on FOX, and Illinois hosts Wyoming at 4 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.
• Minnesota, Penn State and Purdue will make their debut on Thursday, Sept. 1, with the Boilermakers playing host to the Nittany Lions at 8 p.m. ET on FOX and the Golden Gophers opening at home against New Mexico State at 9 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network. The remaining eight schools will begin the 2022 campaign on Friday and Saturday. The complete opening weekend schedule appears to the right.
• The conference announced its 12th annual football preseason honors list, in conjunction with the start of Big Ten Football Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium. A media panel selected the 10-member preseason list, with five representatives each from the East and West Divisions. The full list of honorees can be found on page 3.
• The 2022 campaign will feature 94 All-Big Ten honorees (first-, second-, third-team or honorable mention) selected by either the coaches or the media last season. Ohio State leads the way, welcoming back 17 All-Big Ten honorees this season. Each team has at least one All-Big Ten performer returning this season, with 56 of the 94 returning All-Big Ten players coming from the East Division.
• The National College Football Awards Association announced the 2022 watch lists July 18-Aug. 1, with 73 different Big Ten players featured for expected on-field performance. All 14 schools are represented with Penn State leading the way with 11 honorees, followed by Ohio State with 10 and Michigan with eight. The full list of Big Ten standouts featured on the 2022 NCFAA watch lists can be found on page 2.
• The sidelines will look very familiar this season, as all 14 head coaches return. This marks the first time since 2009-10 that every Big Ten head coach returned from the previous season and just the fourth time in the last 25 seasons that every Big Ten team has the same head coach in the first game of consecutive seasons (2021-22, 2009-10, 2003-04, 1997-98).
• The Big Ten finished last season with four teams ranked in the AP Top 25 for the second straight year, which was tied for second-most of any conference. Three teams finished in the Top 10 for the first time since 2017. The 2022 AP Preseason Poll also featured four Big Ten teams in No. 2 Ohio State, No. 8 Michigan, No. 15 Michigan State and No. 18 Wisconsin, while Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue, and Nebraska are all receiving votes.
• Michigan was crowned 2021 Big Ten Champion after its 42-3 win against Iowa in the Big Ten Football Championship Game presented by Discover on Dec. 4 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. It was the Wolverines’ first Big Ten title in 17 years.
• Iowa and Michigan will look to repeat as division champions this season, as the Wolverines finished 8-1 to win the East Division and the Hawkeyes finished atop the West Division standings at 7-2 in conference play.
COURTESY BIG TEN COMMUNICATIONS