QUEENS, NY. (Aug. 12, 2022) – Orlando City B (5-10-3, 20 points) defeated NYCFC II (8-7-4, 30 points) 2-0 on Friday night at Belson Stadium. With the victory, the Lions have gone undefeated against NYCFC II during the 2022 campaign going 1-0-2.
The Lions were backed by forward Jack Lynn who continues to find the back of the net as he recorded a brace on the night. The brace marked Lynn’s 13th and 14th goal of the season which leads the team and is good for the second-most goals scored in all of MLS NEXT Pro. This was the fourth time during this campaign that Lynn has recorded a multi-goal game.
Goalkeeper Javier Otero returned to the lineup and made a massive impact in between the sticks making seven saves and earning his fourth clean sheet of the season. It is his first shutout victory since May 21 in Orlando’s 6-0 victory over Inter Miami CF II. Otero now has a league leading 82 saves on the year. The Lions also saw a massive performance from the squad’s backline withstanding consistent pressure from NYCFC II all night long.
Friday’s match also saw the Lions go down a man in second-half stoppage time after substitute Ian Silva was shown a straight red card in the 93rd minute of the match.
30’ Jack Lynn (Neicer Acosta) – OCB 1, NYCFC II 0
The Lions opened the scoring on the night after Neicer Acosta whipped in a corner kick and found the head of Jack Lynn at the near post who was able to flick the ball into the back of the net.
51’ Jack Lynn – OCB 2, NYCFC 0
Lynn scored his second goal after getting on the end of a ball sent past the backline of NYCFC II and calmly slotting the ball past a stretching City goalkeeper.
- Jack Lynn’s two goals accounted for his 13th and 14th goal of the campaign. That is good enough for sole possession of second place in the MLS NEXT Pro Golden Boot race as he is only behind Columbus Crew II’s Jacen Russell-Rowe who has 15.
- This was the fourth time this season that Jack Lynn has scored at least two goals in a single match. He is one of only two players in MLS NEXT Pro to record at least four multi-goal games.
- Otero picked up his fourth clean sheet of the year and tacked on seven saves to bring his total to a league leading 82 saves this season.
- Neicer Acosta recorded his second assist of the season on the Lynn goal sending in the corner kick. His previous assist came on July 10 against Inter Miami CF II when he found Moises Tablante for the finish.
- Forward Moises Tablante returned to the starting lineup after having to sit out the previous game due to yellow card accumulation.
- The match saw Alejandro Granados and Favian Loyola both return to the team after spending the week in Minnesota participating in the inaugural MLS NEXT All-Star Game. Loyola was named MVP of that match.
- Head Coach Martín Perelman made four changes to his starting lineup from last week’s match against Toronto FC II.
COURTESY ORLANDO CITY B COMMUNICATIONS