Fri, Mar 11, 2022
Flyers Capitalize In Final Minutes. DaRon Holmes II Scores Career-High 28
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated UMass in the A-10 Quarterfinals 75-72. After trailing by as much as 10, the Flyers fought back for a three-point win. Dayton advances to the A-10 semifinals, and will play the winner of the Richmond-VCU game Saturday. Dayton improves to 23-9, while UMass falls to 15-17.
The Flyers were led by freshman DaRon Holmes II who notched a career-high 28 points. Holmes was joined in double digits by freshman Malachi Smith who had 15, sophomore Toumani Camara with 12, and redshirt freshman R.J. Blakney with 10.
1st Half: UMass 36, Dayton 34
· The Flyers opened the game up 8-4 after three minutes of play as Dayton converted on three of five from the field to start.
· A 10-0 run from UMass put the Minutemen up 16-9 with 13:07 left.
· DaRon Holmes II responded scoring four straight for Dayton to reduce the deficit to four.
· The UMass lead grew to seven at 21-13 as Dayton shot 36% from the field over the first 10 minutes.
· The Minutemen continued to lead by six with eight minutes remaining in the half.
· A three by UMass extended the lead to 10 at 36-26 with 2:24 left.
· An 8-0 run over a 1:38 stretch by Dayton cut the deficit to two with 45 seconds left. Malachi Smith had six of the Flyers eight during the run.
· UMass was held scoreless for the final 2:27 of the half.
· Holmes II led the Flyers with 16 points off 6-8 shooting and three rebounds.
2nd Half: Dayton 75, UMass 72
· Dayton took the lead four minutes into the half off a layup from Kobe Elvis.
· UMass responded by taking a 48-43 lead as Dayton was held scoreless for a three-minute stretch.
· An R.J. Blakney three tied the game again at 50 all with 11 minutes to play.
· Three straight points from Toumani Camara tied the game at 57 all with eight left in the contest.
· A layup by Koby Brea and free throws by Blakney capped off a 7-0 run and put the Flyers up 61-57 with 6:59 remaining.
· Dayton continued to lead by two with 3:26 left, the Flyers made six straight from the field over the three minutes stretch.
· Five straight points from UMass put Dayton behind three with two minutes left.
· A Holmes layup gave Dayton its first FG in three minutes to give Dayton a 69-68 lead with 0:51 left.
· Following a UMass miss, two made free throws from Smith game Dayton a three-point lead with 26 seconds remaining.
· After a UMass bucket, made free throws by Brea, Camara and Smith iced the Dayton win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· Four Flyers hit double-digits, DaRon Holmes II (28), Malachi Smith (15), Toumani Camara (12), and R.J. Blakney (10).
· Dayton shot 52% from the field, while UMass shot 45%.
· The Flyers totaled 32 rebounds, with Camara leading the way with seven. Smith, Holmes II, and Amzil each had five.
· Dayton out assisted the Minutemen 14-9, as Smith led the way with six.
· UD won despite leading for only 7:11 in a game with nine separate lead changes.
· With his 28 points, Holmes II registered the highest scoring game a Flyer has had this season.
· Holmes II also scored his 28 points off just 15 field goal attempts, shooting 80% from the field.
· Dayton will play in the A-10 semifinals Saturday against the winner of the winner of the Richmond-VCU game.
· The game will tip at 3:30 p.m. ET and will air on CBS Sports.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS