NHL Public RelationsFebruary 23, 2022
* Zdeno Chara moved into a tie with Chris Chelios atop the NHL’s all-time games played list among defensemen.
* The Predators, who are in the midst of a week unlike any other in franchise history, rallied past the Panthers at FLA Live Arena.
* The 2022 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series Interactive Information Guide is now available to download for registered users via the League’s Media site.
CHARA TIES CHELIOS FOR MOST GAMES PLAYED IN NHL HISTORY AMONG DEFENSEMEN
Islanders defenseman Zdeno Chara (0-1—1) contested the 1,651st game of his NHL career and tied Chris Chelios for the most in League history among blueliners as New York earned a win at Climate Pledge Arena. Chara and Chelios share eighth place on the NHL’s all-time games played list behind forwards Patrick Marleau (1,779 GP), Gordie Howe (1,767 GP), Mark Messier (1,756 GP), Jaromir Jagr (1,733 GP), Ron Francis (1,731 GP), Joe Thornton (1,704 GP) and Mark Recchi (1,652 GP).
* Chara skated in the 865th win of his NHL career and moved past Messier (864) for sole possession of the seventh most in League history. The only players with more are Nicklas Lidstrom (937), Marleau (935), Thornton (907), Chelios (894), Scott Stevens (879) and Jagr (874).
PREDATORS DEFEAT PANTHERS IN PENULTIMATE GAME BEFORE STADIUM SERIES
The Predators, who are set to play in the 2022 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series at Nissan Stadium on Feb. 26 (7:30 p.m. ET / 6:30 p.m. CT on TNT, TVAS2, SN360), overcame deficits of 1-0, 3-1 and 4-3 to snap the Eastern Conference-leading Panthers’ home winning streak at nine games.
* Nashville contests one more game before squaring off with Tampa Bay outdoors Saturday. On Feb. 24, the Predators play host to the Stars and will retire the No. 35 of franchise mainstay Pekka Rinne during a pre-game ceremony at Bridgestone Arena.
LIVE UPDATES FEATURES LAINE EXTENDING POINT STREAK TO 10 GAMES
Tuesday’s edition of #NHLStats: Live Updates features more notes from the six games, including Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine scoring a tying goal in regulation and the winner 20 seconds into overtime to extend his point streak to 10 contests (12-8—20). His run marked the fifth double-digit point streak in franchise history.
BLACK HOCKEY HISTORY SPOTLIGHT: NHL BLACK HOCKEY HISTORY TOUR
The NHL Black Hockey History Tour presented by American Legacy is a mobile museum that celebrates Black achievement in hockey. The museum showcases today’s stars while also looking back at the pioneers and trailblazers who helped shape NHL history. Admission is free for fans of all ages. The tour, which is in its third season, will visit 28 NHL cities in 2021-22 – the most since it was launched.
* NHL launches NHL Street to help make hockey more accessible to kids in North America
* Canucks welcome hero fan who pointed out mole on equipment manager to Rogers Arena
* NHL Hockey Operations statement on incident in Colorado-Boston game Jan. 21
* Kraft Hockeyville Canada nominations open for 2022 event
CLASH BETWEEN LIGHTNING, McDAVID HIGHLIGHTS WEDNESDAY’S SLATE
Wednesday’s five-game slate is set to feature a clash between the defending Stanley Cup champions and reigning Art Ross Trophy winner as the Lightning play host to Connor McDavid and the Oilers at AMALIE Arena. The contest marks Tampa Bay’s final game before squaring off with Nashville outdoors in the 2022 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series.
* McDavid (2016-17, 2017-18 & 2020-21), Oilers teammate Leon Draisaitl (2019-20) and Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov (2018-19) have combined for each of the last five Art Ross Trophy wins. The last contest to feature each of the last five Art Ross Trophy winners was Game 5 of the 2001 Conference Finals, when the Devils defeated Jaromir Jagr (1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-00 & 2000-01), Mario Lemieux (1996-97) and the Penguins to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.