DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team goes back on the road Saturday, making the first of two trips to Philly for a game Saturday with Saint Joseph’s. Game time is 1 p.m. ET.
On Monday, the Flyers swept the season series with Rhode Island with a hard-fought 63-57 win. Toumani Camara led UD with 17 points. Koby Brea scored 12 points, Mustapha Amzil 11 and R.J. Blakney added 10. Malachi Smith had six assists and three steals.
Saturday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and stats is available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Malachi Smith is the midst of one of the finest seasons by a UD freshman point guard. He was the first Flyer freshman named an in-season tournament MVP since Roosevelt Chapman was MVP of the UD Invitational in 1980. He already has the UD record for steals by a freshman (51) and is third in assists by a freshman (133, two away from Jalen Crutcher in second).
• Smith and DaRon Holmes II have both been named A-10 Rookie of the Week four times.
• Holmes is first nationally among freshmen (and 6th overall) in dunks (57). Next are Memphis’ Jalen Memphis (46) and Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren (40).
• Holmes leads the A-10 in FG% (.640, 121-189). He is nine FGM shy of being ranked nationally, but his .640 would be sixth.
• Dayton’s incoming freshman class was ranked 21st-best in the nation. DaRon Holmes II, a consensus Top 50 recruit, is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with UD.
• After making four of 24 three-pointers in the non-conference season (.167), Toumani Camara has made 13 of 28 (.464) in A-10 play. He has scored double figures in six of his last seven games, averaging 11.7 points a game. In those games he is shooting .523 (11-21) from three.
• Kobe Elvis has reached double digits in nine of his last 11 games, averaging 12.8 ppg.
• R.J. Blakney has reached double figures in back-to-back games for the first time at UD.
• Dayton’s win over No. 4/3 Kansas was its first over a Top 5 team since the Flyers beat No. 3 DePaul 72-71 at the buzzer on Feb. 18, 1984. Anthony Grant was a freshman on that team.
• The Covid year has complicated “the clock” for college student-athletes. With that in mind, the Flyers’ 11 players listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen are the second-most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball. Only Arizona (13) has more. Air Force, Marquette and Vanderbilt (10) are next. KenPom has UD the least experienced team in D-I.
• For the first time in UD Arena history, all season and single game tickets were sold before the season even began. That announcement was made on Nov. 4.
• Dayton has depth. Nine Flyers average 7.5 minutes or more. Nine have had at least one game of 10 points or more. Eight average 6.0+ points a game, and four average 8.5+.
• UD shoots .501 and allows .388 from the field in its 18 wins this season. In the six losses, Dayton shoots .413 and allows .462. UD allows 56.2 ppg. in its wins, and 69.0 in its losses.
• Dayton is back home on Wednesday, Feb. 23 against UMass. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
• The Flyers return to Philadelphia next Saturday, at LaSalle at 2 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS