Game Will Be A UD Arena Record 15th Sellout This Season
DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team remains home Saturday with a game against George Washington on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m. ET.
Saturday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, televised in SW Ohio on Spectrum News 1 and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and stats is available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Saturday’s GW game will officially set a UD Arena record for sellouts in a season (15).
• For the first time in UD Arena history, all season and single game tickets were sold before the season even began. That announcement was made on Nov. 4.
• DaRon Holmes II is first nationally among freshmen (and 6th overall) in dunks (54). Next are Memphis’ Jalen Memphis (40) and Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren (37).
• Holmes leads the A-10 in FG% (.648, 114-176). He is six FGM shy of being ranked nationally, but his .648 would be good for fifth8.
• Holmes’ month-by-month scoring averages are 10.1 ppg., 10.7, 13.5, and 10.7 after 3 G in Feb.
• Dayton had five consecutive A-10 Rookies of the Week from Nov. 30 to Dec. 20. Malachi Smith was named on 11/30, 12/6 and 12/20. DaRon Holmes II was named on 12/13 and 12/27. The string was broken when Flyer games the week of 1/3 were not played.
• Holmes made it seven for UD and four for himself when he was named on Jan. 17 and Jan. 31.
• Dayton’s incoming freshman class is ranked 21st-best in the nation. DaRon Holmes II, a consensus Top 50 recruit, is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with UD.
• Malachi Smith was the first Flyer freshman named an in-season tournament MVP since Roosevelt Chapman was MVP of the UD Invitational in 1980. Smith leads the team in minutes, assists and steals, is second in FT%, and is third in scoring and rebounding.
• Kobe Elvis has reached double digits in eight of his last nine games, averaging 13.9 ppg.
• Dayton’s win over No. 4/3 Kansas was its first over a Top 5 team since the Flyers beat No. 3 DePaul 72-71 at the buzzer on Feb. 18, 1984. Anthony Grant was a freshman on that team.
• The Covid year has complicated “the clock” for college student-athletes. With that in mind, the Flyers’ 11 players listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen are the second-most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball. Only Arizona (13) has more. Air Force, Marquette and Vanderbilt (10) are next. KenPom has UD the least experienced team in D-I.
• Dayton has depth. Nine Flyers average 7.5 minutes or more. Nine have had at least one game of 10 points or more. Eight average 5.5+ points a game, and three average 9.5+.
• UD shoots .504 and allows .389 from the field in its 16 wins this season. In the six losses, Dayton shoots .413 and allows .462. UD allows 56.3 ppg. in its wins, and 69.0 in its losses.
• UD will play its third game in six days at Rhode Island on Monday, Feb. 14 at 9 p.m. ET.
• The Flyers are at St. Joe’s on Saturday, Feb. 19.
• Dayton is back home on Wednesday, Feb. 23 against UMass.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS