OXFORD, Ohio—Dae Dae Grant scored 25 points and pulled down eight rebounds Tuesday night to help Miami get past Western Michigan 62-57 in Mid-American Conference play at Millett Hall. Mekhi Lairy added 11 points and a game-high six assists for the RedHawks (10-13, 4-8 MAC), who outscored the Broncos (4-20, 0-13 MAC) 38-27 after halftime.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Western Michigan went up by as many as seven points in the early going, the RedHawks battled back to take their first lead at 24-21, with a Grant triple capping a 10-0 Miami spurt.
- The Broncos responded with the final nine points of the period to take a 30-24 advantage into intermission.
- WMU matched its largest lead at 44-35 midway through the second half before Miami started its comeback. The RedHawks used a 15-2 run to swing the momentum and take a 50-46 lead with 6:43 to play.
- Precious Ayah put the RedHawks on top for good at 53-52 with under five minutes to play, and Ayah, Grant, and Lairy made enough plays down the stretch to help Miami finish off a five-point victory.
- Grant set a new career high with 10 made free throws; the junior finished 10-11 at the line.
- The RedHawks went 2-2 at the foul line in the first half and 17-22 in the second half.
- Miami forced 17 Western Michigan turnovers and committed just nine.
- Grant posted his eighth 20-point game of the season.
- The RedHawks improved to 53-12 at home all-time vs. WMU.
Miami returns to action at Millett Hall this Saturday, Feb. 12 vs. Bowling Green to wrap up a One Miami Weekend women’s/men’s doubleheader. The women’s game against Central Michigan tips at 1 p.m., with the men’s game against Bowling Green scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m. Fans can request free tickets for the doubleheader here with the code ONEMIAMIDAY.
COURTESY MIAMI ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS