Saturday’s Game Is At 2 P.M. ET On ESPNU
DAYTON –– The University of Dayton men’s basketball team plays its second straight road game Saturday, playing Saint Louis for the second time this season. Game time is 2 p.m. ET.
On Wednesday, the Flyers handed VCU its most lopsided loss since 2003, winning at VCU 82-52. DaRon Holmes II led UD with a career-high 21 points, while Kobe Elvis also had a career-high 20. Toumani Camara added 18. Dayton controlled the boards 40-22.
Saturday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, televised on ESPNU and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio and stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Daron Holmes II is first nationally among freshmen (and 3rd overall) in dunks (47). Next are Memphis’ Jalen Memphis (34), Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren (33) & Baylor’s Kendall Brown (30).
• Holmes leads the A-10 in FG% (.662, 110-167). He is also third nationally.
• Holmes’ month-by-month scoring averages are 10.1 ppg., 10.7, 13.5, and 21.0 after 1 G in Feb.
• Dayton had five consecutive A-10 Rookies of the Week from Nov. 30 to Dec. 20. Malachi Smith was named on 11/30, 12/6 and 12/20. DaRon Holmes II, who was named on 12/13 and 12/27. The string was broken when Flyer games the week of 1/3 were not played.
• Holmes made it seven for UD and four for himself when he was named on Jan. 17, and Jan. 31.
• Dayton’s incoming freshman class is ranked 21st-best in the nation. DaRon Holmes II, a consensus Top 50 recruit, is the highest-rated prospect to ever sign with UD.
• Malachi Smith was the first Flyer freshman named an in-season tournament MVP since Roosevelt Chapman was MVP of the UD Invitational in 1980. Smith leads the team in minutes, assists and steals, is second in FT%, and is third in scoring and rebounding.
• Kobe Elvis has reached double digits in six of his last seven games, averaging 13.1 ppg.
• Toumani Camara has scored 18 points in both of his last two games.
• Dayton’s win over No. 4/3 Kansas was its first over a Top 5 team since the Flyers beat No. 3 DePaul 72-71 at the buzzer on Feb. 18, 1984. Anthony Grant was a freshman on that team.
• For the first time in UD Arena history, all season and single game tickets were sold before the season even began. That announcement was made on Nov. 4.
• The Covid year has complicated “the clock” for college student-athletes. With that in mind, the Flyers’ 11 players listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen are the second-most in NCAA Division I men’s basketball. Only Arizona (13) has more. Air Force, Marquette and Vanderbilt (10) are next. KenPom has UD the least experienced team in D-I.
• Dayton has depth. Nine Flyers average 7.5 minutes or more. Nine have had at least one game of 10 points or more. Eight average 5.5+ points a game, and three average 9.7+.
• UD shoots .498 and allows .388 from the field in its 15 wins this season. In the six losses, Dayton shoots .413 and allows .458. UD allows 56.5 ppg. in its wins, and 68.6 in its losses.
• UD is 7-2 in Atlantic 10 action, and both losses are by a point (VCU and at George Mason).
• The Flyers home to play a pair of games next week. UD hosts Duquesne on Wednesday, Feb. 9, and George Washington on Saturday, Feb. 12. The Duquesne game tips at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS