Paul Scruggs leads three Musketeers in Double Figures with 13 points
MILWAUKEE – Paul Scruggs finished with 13 points to lead three Musketeers in double figures but the Musketeers fell 75-64 to Marquette on Sunday at Fiserv Forum.
FIRST HALF RECAP
- Marquette jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held the lead until the 14:30 mark when Xavier went ahead 9-8.
- After Xavier led 14-13 with 10 minute remaining in the half, Marquette went on an 11-2 run ot lead by eight, 24-16, with six minutes remaining.
- The Golden Eagles would lead by as many as nine with 2:20 remaining before Xavier outscored Marquette 7-2 over the final two minutes to set the halftime score at 33-29 in favor of the Golden Eagles.
- Adam Kunkel led Xavier with 10 points in the first half, connecting on 4-of-6 shots including a pair of threes.
- Each team grabbed 18 rebounds, with Jack Nunge leading Xavier with six first half rebounds.
SECOND HALF RECAP
- Xavier continued its run to end the first half into a 10-2 run to tie the game at 35-35 less than two minutes into the second half.
- After MU went back ahead, Xavier used another 10-3 run to take the lead, going ahead by four, 45-41 with 16:45 to play.
- The two teams traded runs, with the Musketeers leading by as many as five, 53-48, with 14 minutes to play.
- Marquette out-scored Xavier 16-4 over the next eight minutes to go ahead for good, taking a 64-57 lead into the final six minute of play.
- Xavier would get as close as six down the stretch before Marquette extended the lead out to 11, setting the final score at 75-64.
- Colby Jones led Xavier with 10 second half points.
- Jack Nunge and Paul Scruggs each added six in the second half.
- Jones also led Xavier on the boards, grabbing five in the second half to lead Xavier to a 20-17 advantage on the boards, including a 7-1 advantage on the offensive glass.
- Paul Scruggs shot 5-of-9 from the floor to finish with 13 points.
- Adam Kunkel finished with 12 points after leading Xavier with 10 points in the first half.
- Colby Jones also finished with 12 points after scoring a team-high 10 points in the second half.
- Jack Nunge finished with a team-high eight rebounds to go with eight points.
- Xavier finished with a 38-35 advantage on the boards overall.
- Xavier commited 10 turnovers leading to 10 Marquette points.
UP NEXT FOR XAVIER
The Musketeers return home for the next match-up, hosting Providence on Wednesday, January 26. Tip-off with the Friars is set for 6:30 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.
COURTESY XAVIER ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS