NHL Public RelationsDecember 29, 2021
* The Sharks and Coyotes competed in the NHL’s highest-scoring game of 2021-22 and became the 10th set of teams in the past 25 years to combine for at least 15 goals.
* The Golden Knights and Kings also joined forces in accomplishment Tuesday, becoming the seventh set of teams since 2000-01 to score four goals in a span of 76 seconds or fewer.
* The NHL witnessed a three-game day feature at least 33 total goals for the first time since Feb. 24, 1993 (VAN: 5 vs. NYR: 4; BUF: 10 vs. DET: 7 & PHI: 5 vs. HFD: 2).
SHARKS OUTLAST COYOTES IN HIGHEST-SCORING GAME OF 2021-22
Timo Meier (1-1—2) and captain Logan Couture (1-1—2) were two of 15 Sharks skaters with at least a point as San Jose (16-14-1, 33 points) outlasted Arizona (6-21-3, 15 points) in the NHL’s highest-scoring game of 2021-22.
* The Sharks, who scored at least eight goals in a contest for the 15th time in franchise history and first since Oct. 9, 2018 (8 at PHI), joined the Blue Jackets (Oct. 14 vs. ARI), Maple Leafs (Dec. 1 vs. COL), Jets (Dec. 3 vs. NJD) and Senators (Dec. 14 at FLA) as the fifth team to hit the mark this season.
* San Jose’s offensive output also featured a pair of second-period goals in a span of seven seconds – tied for the fastest two goals in franchise history (also Nov. 5, 1992). Only one team has tallied two goals in a faster span this season (TBL: 0:05 on Nov. 30).
* Meier leads all Sharks players with 13-18—31 in 2021-22 (26 GP). Only two players in franchise history hit the 30-point mark in a season in fewer games: Joe Thornton (19 GP in 2005-06, 24 GP in 2009-10, 25 GP in 2008-09 & 2007-08) and Owen Nolan (23 GP in 1999-00).
GOLDEN KNIGHTS TAKE OVER FIRST IN WEST WITH SIX-GOAL OUTING
Jonathan Marchessault (2-1—3) posted his 13th career three-point game with the Golden Knights as Vegas (21-12-0, 42 points) leapfrogged idle Minnesota (19-9-2, 40 points) and moved into top spot in the Western Conference standings. Only one team has registered more outings with six-plus goals in 2021-22 than Vegas (4): Colorado (8).
* The Golden Knights, the NHL’s highest-scoring team in 2021-22, traded four first-period goals with the Kings in a span of 76 seconds and extended their road win streak to six games – tied for the longest such run in franchise history.
* Marchessault’s 13 performances with three or more points are tied with Max Pacioretty and William Karlsson for the most by a Golden Knights player since the franchise’s inaugural season in 2017-18.
POINT’S RETURN HELPS LEAD LIGHTNING PAST CANADIENS
Brayden Point (2-1—3) tallied twice in his first game since Nov. 20 and factored on Corey Perry’s tying goal with 20 seconds left in the third period to send the contest to overtime, where Ondrej Palat would find the back of the net to lead the NHL-best Lightning (21-6-4, 46 points) to their seventh straight home win.
NHL FIRSTS HIGHLIGHT #NHLSTATS: LIVE UPDATES
Rafael Harvey-Pinard and Kale Clague each scored their first NHL goal during Montreal’s back-and-forth affair with Tampa Bay. They became the fifth pair of Canadiens teammates in the NHL’s expansion era (since 1967-68) to each score their first career goal in the same game and first since Victor Mete and Nick Suzuki (Oct. 17, 2019). Click here to read more storylines from the Tuesday edition of the #NHLStats: Live Updates.
BLUES SET TO CONTEST FINAL GAME BEFORE WINTER CLASSIC
The Blues (17-9-5, 39 points) are scheduled to play their final game before facing the Wild at the 2022 Discover NHL Winter Classic when they welcome the Oilers (18-11-0, 36 points) to Enterprise Center.
ICYMI: The 2022 Discover NHL Winter Classic Information Guide – featuring notes on the Blues and Wild as well as a complete history of outdoor NHL games – is now available for those with access to the League’s media site.
PREDATORS LOOK TO PUSH WIN STREAK TO EIGHT
The Predators (19-10-1, 39 points) will put their seven-game win streak on the line Wednesday when they visit the Capitals (18-6-7, 43 points). Nashville has only posted a win streak of eight or more games twice: 10 GP in 2017-18 and 8 GP in 2005-06. Additionally, the Predators will look to win six consecutive road games for the first time since an eight-game run in 2018-19.