SOME BUCKEYE NOTES
f Ohio State leads the nation in scoring
offense (47.2 points per game), total
offense (559.9 yards/game), touchdowns
scored (67) and yards per play (7.98).
f C.J. Stroud, a seven-time Big Ten Freshman
of the Week, directs the offense and has
been sensational as a first-year starter.
He ranks in the top five nationally in
quarterback efficiency (second, 186.7),
touchdown passes (fourth, 36) and yards
per attempt (fourth, 10.0).
f Stroud works with three terrific wide
receivers: Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson and
f Smith-Njigba, Wilson and Olave rank
second, fourth and sixth in the Big Ten,
respectively, in receiving yards per game.
Olave is tied for second nationally with 13
TD receptions while Wilson is sixth with 11.
f And then there’s this: Ohio State is on pace
to be the first Power 5 team ever with three
1,000-yard receivers AND a 1,000-yard
rusher. Tulsa is the only other team to do
that, in 2007.
f With 240 yards vs. Nebraska, Jaxon SmithNjigba was the first Ohio State receiver to
top 200 yards in a game since Santonio
Holmes did so in 2004 vs. Marshall.
f Olave and Wilson’s 57 combined TDs are
the most ever for Ohio State teammates.
f TE Jeremy Ruckert needs two receiving
TDs to break the school TE record of 13,
held by Jake Stoneburner (2009-12).
f On defense, third-year sophomore SAF
Ronnie Hickman is on pace to the first
player since Raekwon McMillan in 2016
to finished with 100+ tackles. He has 85
tackles so far.
- HEIGHT 6-2
- WEIGHT 300
- HOMETOWN LAS VEGAS, NEV.
- LAST SCHOOL BISHOP GORMAN
- YEAR GRADUATE
Ohio State Overview
• Is a 2021 preseason All-America on virtually every media poll after earning first-team All-America honors in 2020 by CBS Sports
• On the 2021 preseason watch lists for the Outland Trophy, the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy
• Garrett, a sociology major, is a “super senior” in eligibility as he is using the 2020 Covid year to gain a fifth year on the field in 2021
• Joins DT Antwuan Jackson, CB/WR Demario McCall, OT Thayer Munford, TE Corey Rau, LS Bradley Robinson and CB Marcus Williamson as “super seniors” playing a fifth season
• Tops among all current Ohio State defensive players with 41 games played and second on the team after Thayer Munford (45)
• Has a plethora of stats for a DT, including 40 tackles, 6.5 tackles-for-loss, two quarterback sacks, two pass break-ups and a pick-6 interception (against Michigan State in 2020)
• Recovered from a gunshot wound through the cheeks last summer to play in all eight of the Buckeyes games in 2020
• Started the final seven games of the 2020 season and totaled 20 tackles and 4.0 TFLs
• A four-time Varsity O letterwinner who has played on four Big Ten championship teams the past four years
• Saw action in eight games as a true frosh in 2017, all 14 games as a true sophomore in 2018 and 11 games as a junior in 2019
Honors & Awards
2020: First-team All-American (CBS Sports)
More on Haskell
• Was a consensus 4-star prospect from the national power Bishop Gorman program that went 43-0 during his three seasons and won state and overall national championships all three years
• Garrett was a Top 50 player overall (No. 47 by Scout) and a Top 10 defensive tackle prospect, with Scout rating him No. 4, Rivals and 247Sports each ranking him sixth and ESPN No. 7
• He led a terrific Bishop Gorman defense as a senior with 54 tackles, including 20 tackles-for-loss, 7.5 sacks and an interception
• Had 56.5 TFLs and 25 sacks for his career, including 20.5TFLs and 11.5 sacks as a sophomore and 16 TFLs and six sacks as a junior
• First-team Nevada all-state pick and a U.S. Army All-American
• 4A Sunset / Southwest League defensive most valuable player
• MaxPreps and PrepStar All-American
• Is originally from Vermont, and briefly lived in Hawai’i when Haskell was 13 after the death of his father
• Mother is Maria Key and is a family member of Shelly and Ray Mook.
COURTESY OSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS