Ohio State is 3-0 in its previous appearances in the Gavitt Games
#19 Ohio State at Xavier
Date: November 18, 2021
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Venue: Cincinnati, Ohio – Cintas Center
Listen: Ohio State Radio Network from Learfield
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Xavier
Rosters: Ohio State | Xavier
Season Stats: Ohio State | Xavier
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 19Ohio State heads out on the road for the first time this season and what a test it will be on Thursday night, as the Buckeyes will play Xavier as part of the 2021 Gavitt Tip-off Games. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. and Brandon Gaudin and Bill Raftery will call the action on FS1.
- This will be just the fifth all-time meeting between the two programs with the Buckeyes holding a 3-1 record. The last meeting was a memorable one for the Buckeyes as OSU won 78-71 in overtime in the second round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament. Ron Lewis’ three-pointer late in regulation tied the game and was one of the Buckeyes’ “One Shining Moments” of the run to the NCAA championship game that year.
- This will be the fourth time Ohio State has participated in the Gavitt Games. The Buckeyes are 3-0 in the previous three appearances, collecting wins over Providence, Creighton and Villanova.
- Ohio State has opened the year with three victories, including a pair of wins over in-state foes Akron and Bowling Green.
- This will be the 320th game for Ohio State vs. a team from Ohio. The Buckeyes have a record of 240-79 (.752) all-time and have won the last 32 regular season meetings against in-state opponents dating back to 1994.
- E.J. Liddell has led the team in scoring in each of the first three games. He is scoring 22.3 points per game and is shooting an efficient 20-of-29 (.690) from inside the arc.
- Zed Key has scored in double-figures in each of the first three games, which marks the first time in his young career that he has had a streak of consecutive games with 10 or more points.
- Meechie Johnson Jr. (13 pts) and Eugene Brown III (12 pts) are both coming off career-high scoring performances in the win over Bowling Green on Monday night.
- Point guard Jamari Wheeler has been great so far with the ball, dishing-out 12 assists and committing just one turnover. He’s also 4-of-8 from long distance.
- The Buckeyes have shot over 50 percent in the last two games. They only shot over 50 percent in consecutive games twice last season and never three consecutive games.
- Xavier enters the game having defeated both Niagara and Kent State. Paul Scruggs leads the team in scoring at 20.0 ppg while Colby Jones is averaging 17.5 ppg.
COURTESY OSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS