Flyers Play In DeLand, Fla. For The Fourth Time In Five Games With The HattersLink To Game Notes: https://bit.ly/3bEkdGR
DAYTON — The University of Dayton football team will play its final road game of 2021 on Saturday when the Flyers visit Stetson in DeLand, Fla.
UD is 4-4 and 3-3 in the Pioneer Football League, after last week’s 38-31 win over Butler. Stetson is 3-4 overall and 2-3 in the PFL after the Hatters popped Presbyterian 56-14 on Saturday.
Flyer co-captain Jake Chisholm was named the PFL Offensive Player of the Week after rushing for 157 yards, catching two passes for 55 yards and returning his only kickoff opportunity 34 yards. Chisholm is third in FCS football in total carries (177) and seventh in all-purpose yardage (140.4 yards per game). He also leads the PFL in rushing (86.0 yards per game).
GOOD NEWS WORTH REPEATING
The Flyers entered the season with the fifth-best winning percentage (.733, 162-59) in FCS football since 2000 AND have produced the most football Academic All-Americans (34) at any level of competition in the same time frame. The top five in winning percentage are North Dakota State (.801), Harvard (.7538), Montana (.7537), San Diego (.741) and Dayton (.733).
UD has not been shut out in a school-record 495 straight games, the best such active string in all of college football. The last team to shut out the Flyers was Marshall, 9-0, on Oct. 16, 1976. That is also the all-time FCS record.
• The Pioneer Football League is in its 29th season. The original (and now the only) Division I strictly need-based football league began with charter members Butler, Dayton, Drake, Evansville, San Diego and Valparaiso.
• UD’s 127-45 record is the best in PFL history.
• The Flyers’ 12 league championships are more than any other PFL team. San Diego has 11.
THE MAN AT THE TOP
• Rick Chamberlin is now in his 13th season in charge of Flyer football. His record is 97-44.
• He is third all-time in wins at UD, behind two College Football Hall of Fame members– Mike Kelly (246 wins) and Harry Baujan (124).
• After coaching the Flyers to the FCS playoffs in 2015, Chamberlin was named the 2015 AFCA District Coach of the Year and the PFL Coach of the Year. He was the school’s first AFCA District Coach of the Year, and his PFL honor was the ninth for a Dayton coach.
• Chamberlin is also in his 47th season as part of the Flyer football program. A Flyer All-American linebacker in his playing days, he has been a part of 391 of UD’s 691 wins – 26 as a player, 268 as an assistant coach, and 97 as a head coach. He has also been a part of 511 of UD’s 1,094 games.
THE MAN AT THE TOP IN THE PFL
• Rick Chamberlin is the winningest coach in Pioneer Football League history, with 72 wins.
• No other PFL coach has 60 league wins.
CAPTAINS, MY CAPTAINS
• The Flyer co-captains for the 2021 season are junior running back Jake Chisholm, senior quarterback Jack Cook and senior safety Brandon Easterling.
• Senior safety Joe Bubonics is this year’s special teams captain.
• UD will close out the regular season at home against Davidson on Saturday, Nov. 13.
• Dayton will celebrate Senior Day and at halftime, the Lt. Andy Zulli Memorial Award will be presented to a member of the senior class. The Zulli award is a character-driven award that is considered the most prestigious honor in the Flyer football program.
• Game time is 12 Noon ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS