FROM WIKIPEDIA COMMONS
SS Princess Sophia was a steel-built passenger liner in the coastal service fleet of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). Along with SS Princess Adelaide, SS Princess Alice, and SS Princess Mary, Princess Sophia was one of four similar ships built for CPR during 1910-1911.
On 25 October 1918, Princess Sophia sank with the loss of all aboard after grounding on Vanderbilt Reef in Lynn Canal near Juneau, Territory of Alaska. All 364 persons on the ship died, making the wreck of Princess Sophia the worst maritime accident in the history of British Columbia and Alaska.
- BORN 1881: PABLO PICASSO (ARTIST)
- 1881: LESLIE L. CURTIS GRANTED A U.S. PATENT FOR AN AIR BRUSH DEVICE
- BORN 1912: MINNIE PEARL (COMEDIENNE & SINGER)
- BORN 1914: JOHN BERRYMAN (POET)
- 1918: S.S. PRINCESS SOPHIA SANK NEAR JUNEAU, ALASKA
- DIED 2002: SEN. PAUL WELLSTONE (MINNESOTA CONGRESSMAN)
- DIED 2002: RICHARD HARRIS (ACTOR)
- 2004: KEN JENNINGS PASSED THE $2 MILLION MARK ON JEOPARDY!, SHATTERING HIS PREVIOUS $1 MILLION RECORD SET JULY 13, 2004
- 2007: HIDEKI OKAJIMA OF THE BOSTON RED SOX BECAME THE FIRST JAPANESE-BORN PITCHER TO PLAY IN A WORLD SERIES GAME