Ohio State 59, Akron 7
September 25, 2021
Ohio Stadium — 95,178
- Ohio State defeated Akron, 59-7, in front of 95,178 fans on a perfect fall evening at Ohio Stadium.
- Ohio State is now 8-1 all-time vs. Akron, including a 42-0 victory on Sept. 3, 2011, the last meeting between the two schools before tonight.
- Ohio State’s opponents have scored first in three of the season’s first four games.
- Chris Olave’s first quarter touchdown reception tied him with Santonio Holmes for fourth on the career TD reception list with 25. The record holder is David Boston with 34.
- McCord is just the fourth true freshman to start at quarterback for Ohio State after Art Schlichter (1978 vs. Penn State), Terrelle Pryor (2008 vs. Troy) and Braxton Miller (2011 vs. Colorado). Miller’s first start as a true freshman was almost exactly 10 years ago to the day: Sept. 24, 2011.
- McCord passed for 319 yards, the most by a player in their first career start in Ohio State history. Dwayne Haskins’ 313 yards passing against Oregon State in 2018 was the previous high mark.
- McCord’s first career completion was a 22-yard shovel pass to Jaxon Smith-Njigba on the second Ohio State drive of the game. His first career touchdown pass came later that possession on a 5-yard shovel pass to Chris Olave.
- McCord’s 85-yard pass to Emeka Egbuka in the third quarter is tied for the third-longest passing play, and sixth longest offensive play overall, in Ohio State history, matching Troy Smith’s 85-yard strike to Santonio Holmes against Notre Dame in 2005. Kenny Guiton’s 90-yard pass to Devin Smith at California in 2013 is the longest pass play in Buckeye football history.
- TreVeyon Henderson rushed for his fifth and sixth touchdowns of the season in the first half. The true freshman finished with 93 yards on just eight carries.
- Two more true freshmen also started on defense: CB Denzel Burke and DE J.T. Tuimoloau.
- Haskell Garrett recorded his first three sacks of the season, more than doubling his career total of two sacks, both recorded in the 2020 season.
- True freshman receivers Emeka Egbuka, Jayden Ballard and Marvin Harrison Jr. made their first career catches in the second half.
- A total of 10 receivers caught at least one pass in the game.
- True freshman defensive end Jack Sawyer recorded his first career sack in the fourth quarter.
- Running back Master Teague ran for 71 yards on eight carries and reached the endzone twice. That was the fourth two-touchdown game of his career and the first since the Indiana game last season.
- The Ohio State defense held Akron to just 222 yards of total offense, the fewest amount since allowing 139 yards to Maryland on Nov. 9, 2019.
- Ohio State had 9.0 sacks in the game, which is the most since recording 10.0 against Wisconsin in 2007. The 9.0 sacks are also tied for the fourth most in a game in program history.
COURTESY OSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
Hi there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a honest price? Thank you, I appreciate it!
Comments are closed.