NCAC member, Denison Women’s Lacrosse blasts St. Mary of Indiana 17-2 in NCAA III Second Round

Sun, May 9, 2021

The Denison women’s lacrosse team rolled to a second-round victory in the NCAA Division III tournament Sunday afternoon against Saint Mary’s (IN). The Big Red tallied 10 unanswered goals in the first half en route to a 17-2 win over the Belles.

Denison jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first six minutes of play, as sophomore Jane Bailey (Berwyn, PA/Conestoga) netted the first goal of the game just 45 seconds in. Senior Molly Fischer (Barrington, RI/Moses Brown) and junior Casey McTague (Arlington, VA/Stone Ridge) each posted two goals, as Fisher made it 2-0 just 39 seconds after Bailey’s goal. Sophomore Ryann Yospa (Baltimore, MD/McDonogh School) tallied the third goal of the game at the 28:29 mark, followed by a McTague goal at 27:45, another Fischer score at 26:06 and then McTague’s second goal of the game at 24:20. The Big Red finished the half with four more goals off of the sticks of freshman Josie Lucchesi (Villanova, PA/Radnor) at 8:44, McTague at 5:32 and 2:54 and Fischer at 4:37.

Denison finished the first half with 16 ground balls, eight draw controls and 25 shots, while holding Saint Mary’s to just six shots in the first 30 minutes of play.

Bailey came out of the locker room strong netting a goal just 17 seconds into the second half, while senior Liza Farnham (Barrington, RI/Moses Brown) got on the board with a free position goal at 27:20 and McTague netted her fifth and sixth goals of the game at the 24:28 and 17:12 marks, putting the Big Red up 14-0. Freshman Maddie Morrell (Columbus, OH/Pickerington Central) netted her first goal of the game at 11:51, before the Belles finally got on the board at the 10:08 mark to bring the game to 15-1. Morrell quickly got her second score of the game with 5:54 remaining to lengthen the Denison lead. Freshman Jane Lukens (Westport, CT/Staples) then scored the Big Red’s 17th goal at the 2:16 mark, while Saint Mary’s netted a second goal with 48 seconds remaining to end the game.

Eight different Denison players scored in the game, while the Big Red were led in scoring by McTague who netted six goals and dished one assist, while Bailey recorded two goals and three assists. Sophomore Caroline O’Dea (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan) and junior Maeve Caldwell (Marblehead, MA/Marblehead) split time between the posts for Denison. O’Dea tallied three saves and allowed no goals in 40:01 minutes, while Caldwell made one save and allowed just two goals in 19:59 minutes of action.

The victory moves Denison into regional play which will take place May 15-16 at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. The Big Red will face the winner of the Carroll (Wisconsin) and Aurora second round match that is being contested at 3:30 p.m. today.



    I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

Comments are closed.