Mon, Mar 1, 2021
Flyers Hand A-10 Regular Season Champs Their First Homecourt Loss in 2020-21
OLEAN, N.Y. – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team closed the regular season with a hard-fought 55-52 win over the 2020-21 Atlantic 10 regular season champion St. Bonaventure Bonnies.
Dayton held SBU to a season-low 52 points, and 30% shooting from the field.
Ibi Watson led UD with 14 points (5-7 FG). A pair of freshmen – R.J. Blakney and Mustapha Amzil – added nine each. Senior point guard Jalen Crutcher scored just six points, fouling out with 3:51 left after playing a season-low 22 minutes. Yet he was +15 in +/- efficiency ratings.
The Flyers finish the regular season 13-8 overall, and 9-7 in the A-10. The Bonnies were 13-4, and 11-4.
First Half: St. Bonaventure 27, Dayton 26
· Dayton jumped out to a 10-5 lead at the 15:51 mark, behind a pair of three-pointers by Ibi Watson.
· SBU scored seven unanswered points to take the lead at the next media Brea, 12-10 with 11:54 left in the half.
· Koby Brea broke a six-minute Flyer field goal drought, and it UD trailed by one (17-16) with 7:52 to go.
· After scoring 10 points in the game’s first four minutes, it took Dayton nearly 12 minutes to get the next 10 due to eight turnovers.
· The Flyers scored the last two buckets of the half to cut the Bonnie advantage to one 27-26 at halftime.
· Rebounds were even (15-15) and UD held St. Bona to 38% shooting (while shooting 48% itself), but the Flyers committed 11 turnovers. Leading to 12 points off turnovers for the Bonnies.
· Ibi Watson led the Flyers with seven points, with R.J. Blakney right behind with six.
Second Half: Dayton 55, St. Bonaventure 52
· UD scored the first seven points of the half to force a Bona timeout at the 17:36 mark with the Flyers ahead 33-27.
· The Flyers led by eight (37-29) at the first media break with 16:18 to go.
· A three-pointer by Zimi Nwokeji stretched the Dayton lead it to 11 (42-31) with 13:38 left.
· Mustapha Amzil drained another trey to give Dayton its largest lead, 47-35, with 11:46 remaining.
· Jalen Crutcher was charged with his fourth foul with the 12-point lead.
· The Flyers led 49-40 with 7:19 to go, and when Crutcher fouled out with 3:51 left, led 52-46.
· The Bonnies made it a two-point game with a three-pointer at the 3:05 mark.
· After a Dayton timeout, UD ran a high pick play that resulted in Rodney Chatman in hitting Jordy Tshimanga on an alley-oop layup to make the score UD 54, SBU 50.
· The Bonnies scored with 2:40 to cut it to a 52-50 game.
· Ibi Watson made one of two free throws at the 1:02 mark.
· The Flyers got a stop on the next possession, took the clock down to 10.1 seconds, and then got another stop to pull out the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
· Every Flyer who played, scored, and all but one pulled down a rebound.
· UD’s top three scorers – Ibi Watson (5-7, 2-3), R.J. Blakney (3-4, 1-2) and Mustapha Amzil (3-3, 1-1) – combined to shoot 11-of14 from the field, and 4-of-6 from beyond the arc.
· Five Dayton player grabbed at least five rebounds, led by Jordy Tshimanaga’s seven.
· Jalen Crutcher had five assists.
· The Flyers held the Bonnies to 22% shooting in the second half.
· Dayton ended the regular season 9-3 against teams with a winning record, and 4-5 against teams with a losing record.
· Dayton will face Rhode Island in the second round of the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship on Thursday, March 5. Game time is 3:30 p.m. ET.
· The winner advances to play the tournament’s No. 2 seed, VCU in the quarterfinals on Friday.
· Dayton is the seventh seed in the tournament.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS
Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!
Comments are closed.