By Carey Van Lue
Red Wings to Watch
« RW Alex DeBrincat, who has notched 25-plus goals in five of his first six NHL seasons, ranks sixth-T in the League in goals with 9-5-14 in his first 14 games with the club in 2023-24.
« C Dylan Larkin leads the Red Wings in assists and points with 5-12-17 in 14 games this season and has totaled 7-18-25 in 26 career games against the Blue Jackets.
« D Moritz Seider ranks fifth-T among NHL blueliners in assists and eighth-T in points with 1-10-11 in 14 contests in 2023-24.
« Columbus has gone 46-50-14 in 110 all-time meetings vs. Detroit, including 20-27-6 on the road.
« The Blue Jackets are 27-11-3 against the Red Wings since the start of the 2012-13 season.
« CBJ have won the last two games at Little Caesars Arena and are 13-4-2 in the past 19 at Detroit dating back to Feb. 21, 2013.
« The winning team has recorded four or more goals in nine-straight meetings since May 7, 2021 with five of them scoring five-plus goals in a win.
« The teams have combined for seven-plus goals in six of the last nine games of the all-time series.
« The Blue Jackets have killed off all 11 Red Wings power play chances over the last five games at Little Caesars Arena.
« Columbus owns eight of the 22 shutouts in the all-time series with CBJ’s most recent instance a 1-0 shootout victory on Apr. 27, 2021 (Merzlikins-41 saves, Greiss-33 saves).
« The Blue Jackets have notched five of the eight hat tricks in the all-time series, including a hat trick in each of the last two season series after Jack Roslovic recorded the feat on Apr. 9, 2022 (5-4 OTW at Detroit) and Patrik Laine recorded three goals on Jan. 14, 2023 (4-3 W at Detroit).
This Season (CBJ, 0-1-0)
« Oct. 16, 2023 – Detroit 4, at Columbus 0
« Nov. 11, 2023 – at Detroit (1 p.m. ET)
« Mar. 19, 2024 – at Detroit (7 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. Red Wings
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 5-17-22 in 17 career GP, including points in six of his last seven games overall (1-7-8) while also posting points in all seven career road contests (3-10-13) and assists in six of the seven road outings.
« C Boone Jenner – 11-13-24 in 31 career GP, including points in 12 of his last 15 games against the Wings (7-7-14) and six of his last eight at Detroit (3-4-7).
« F Patrik Laine – 9-8-17 in 18 career GP, including points in five of his last six games against Detroit (3-5-8) and points in each of his last three appearances at Detroit (3-2-5).
« G Elvis Merzlikins – 5-2-1, 2.24 GAA, .924 SV% and 2 SO in 8 career GP, including wins in each of his last four games against the Red Wings since Apr. 27, 2021 (2.42 GAA, .925 SV%).
« C Jack Roslovic – 6-5-11 in 17 career GP, including points in three of his last four outings overall (3-4-7) with multi-point efforts in each of his last two at Little Caesars Arena (3-3-6).
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets return to the road after falling 5-2 to Dallas at Nationwide Arena on Thursday.
- CBJ have played five one-goal games this season (1-1-3), including in two of the last three.
- The team is in a stretch of eight-of-10 games played against Eastern Conference teams from Oct. 26-Nov. 14. The only two games against the Western Conference during that stretch were against Dallas (Oct. 30 at Dallas, Nov. 9 at CBJ).
- The Blue Jackets close out a stretch of four-of-five games played on the road from Nov. 4-12 with the team’s second of 13 back-to-back sets of the season on Saturday at Detroit and Sunday at the NY Rangers. The team swept its first back-to-back set, 3-1 over Calgary on Oct. 20 and 5-4 in overtime at Minnesota on Oct. 21.
- The club has killed off all 15 opponent power play opportunities over the past six contests.
- CBJ rank sixth in the NHL in penalty kill percentage this season at 87.5 pct. (35-of-40) and rank second in penalty kill percentage (NYR; 93.6 pct.) since Oct. 10 (93.1 pct.), killing off 27-of-29 opponent power play chances over the last 10 games.
- The Blue Jackets have scored two goals in each of the last two first periods and rank eighth in the NHL with 14 first period goals this season.
- Columbus posted the fourth-highest total of blocked shots in a game this season with 30 in Monday’s game at Florida. The club ranks second in the NHL in blocked shots-per-60 minutes (19.64) and third in blocked shots (259).
- Blue Jackets blueliners have combined to rank 10th-T among NHL defensive units in assists and 13th-T in points with 5-24-29 in 13 games this season.
- CBJ play their fifth (2-2-0) of 21 Saturday games (10 on the road) in 2023-24 when they take on the Red Wings, including playing on each of the first six Saturdays of the campaign.
- The club plays its first of five matinee games this season (3pm or earlier local time), also playing at New Jersey on Nov. 24 (3pm), vs. Florida on Dec. 10 (1pm), vs. Vancouver on Jan. 15 (1pm) and vs. Nashville on Mar. 9 (12:30pm).
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- C Adam Fantilli, the 2023 third overall pick, collected an assist on Thursday and has registered 2-5-7 in 13 GP this season to rank fifth-T among League rookies in assists, sixth-T in points and eighth-T in goals.
- LW Johnny Gaudreau has registered 1-5-6 in 13 games this season after collecting an assist on Thursday. In his first season with the Blue Jackets in 2022-23, he led the club in assists, points, and multi-point games with 21-53-74 and 20 multi-point outings in 80 contests.
- D Erik Gudbranson has posted 1-2-3 in his past four games, including picking up his fourth career multi-assist outing with two assists on Monday at Florida. He leads the team and ranks ninth-T among NHL skaters in blocked shots this season with 35.
- C Boone Jenner, who has registered goals in two-straight and three of the last four games (3-1-4), leads the club in goals and points (tied) with 7-2-9 in 13 outings this season. The Jackets’ captain has won 50% or more of his draws in nine-of-13 games this season and ranks sixth-T in the NHL for faceoff wins and 11th-T in faceoff percentage (min. 100 draws), winning 145-of-247 (58.7 pct.).
- RW Kirill Marchenko has set a new career high with points in four-straight games (3-1-4) after notching a goal on Thursday. With 3-4-7 in 11 appearances this season, he has already tied his career high in assists after posting 21-4-24 in 59 contests during his 2022-23 rookie campaign.
- D Ivan Provorov has collected assists in eight of 13 games played this season (0-9-9). He leads the team in assists and points (tied), while ranking eighth-T among NHL blueliners in assists.
- LW Dmitri Voronkov has posted points in five of his first seven NHL games (2-3-5) after collecting an assist on Thursday vs. Dallas. He became the third player in team history to record four or more points in their first five NHL games (2-2-4), joining Zach Werenski (2-3-5; Oct. 13-25, 2016) and David Vyborny (3-1-4; Oct. 7-15, 2000).
- D Zach Werenski, who missed the final 69 games of the 2022-23 season due to a shoulder injury, has collected 1-5-6 in his last 10 outings.
- CBJ have three rookies on the team, including 19-year-olds C Adam Fantilli (2023 third overall pick) and D David Jiricek (2022 sixth overall selection) and 23-year-old F Dmitri Voronkov (2019 fourth round pick, 114th overall).
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- RW Yegor Chinakhov is five games from 100 for his NHL career (11-16-27, 95 GP).
- LW Johnny Gaudreau is five games from 700 for his NHL career (232-457-689, 695 GP).
- C Boone Jenner (177-161-338, 670 GP) is four games from tying LW Rick Nash (289-258-547, 674 GP) for the most career games played in CBJ history.
- F Patrik Laine is one goal from 200 for his NHL career (199-182-381, 466 GP).
- D Andrew Peeke is two games away from his 200th NHL game (9-26-35, 198 GP).
- C Jack Roslovic is two points from 200 and two games from 400 for his NHL career (73-125-198, 398 GP).
- D Zach Werenski (80-171-251, 427 GP) is two assists from tying D Seth Jones (50-173-223, 381 GP) for most career assists by a defenseman in franchise history.
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- G Daniil Tarasov (knee) is on the Injured/Non Roster List on Oct. 9 (Week-to-Week); 13 games
- F Patrik Laine (upper body) is on Injured Reserve retroactive to Oct. 20 (Day-to-Day); 9 games
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 32
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS