By Danielle Daniels
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State junior tight end Theo Johnson was selected for the Mackey Award watch list on Friday.
The Mackey Award is presented annually to the top tight end in college football.
Theo Johnson · Jr. · TE · 6-6 · 264 · Windsor, Ontario · Holy Names Catholic
- Also named to the Mackey Award Watch List in 2022.
- Has appeared in 31 career games, making 16 starts.
- Appeared in 11 games, including nine starts, in 2022.
- Hauled in 20 catches for 328 yards and four touchdowns.
- Finished tied fourth among Big Ten tight ends with four receiving touchdowns.
- Helped Penn State tight ends to total 13 receiving touchdowns in 2022.
- Penn State was one of three FBS schools with four different tight ends catching a touchdown pass last season.
- Had six catches of 20+ yards in 2022.
- Hauled in two touchdown receptions against Michigan State (11/26/22) with 48-yard and 11-yard receptions.
- Was named the coaching staff’s Offensive Player of the Game following the Michigan State game.
- Caught five passes for 75 yards and a score against Minnesota (10/22/22), including a 25-yard reception and an 18-yard touchdown grab.
- Recorded a 42-yard reception against Ohio State (10/29/22).
- Had a 29-yard reception and a four-yard touchdown grab at Indiana (11/5/22).
- Made a 28-yard reception against Utah (1/2/23) in the Rose Bowl Game.
- Caught 19 receptions for 213 yards and a touchdown in 2021.
The award is named after NFL Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey, who played 10 years in the NFL and was selected for the Pro Bowl five times. Mackey was a three-time All-NFL honoree and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team and the league’s 50th Anniversary team. He played in two NFL Championship Games and two Super Bowls, leading the Baltimore Colts to a win in Super Bowl V.
COURTESY PENN STATE COMMUNICATIONS