By Danielle Daniels
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State sophomore running back Nicholas Singleton was tabbed to the Maxwell Award watch list on Monday.
The Maxwell Award has been presented to the College Player of the Year since 1937 and is named in honor of Robert “Tiny” Maxwell who was a former standout at the Swarthmore College and a renowned sports writer and football official.
Nicholas Singleton · So. · RB · 6-0 · 224 · Shillington, Pa. · Governor Mifflin
- Named Big Ten Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year in 2022.
- Earned Freshman All-American honors from the FWAA, ESPN.com, On3 and 247Sports.
- Voted third-team All-Big Ten as a running back and All-Big Ten second team as a return specialist.
- Led Nittany Lions with 1,061 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns in 2022.
- Set Penn State freshman record with 12 rushing touchdowns and became the third PSU freshman running back to rush for over 1,000 yards.
- Became 16th Nittany Lion to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.
- Singleton and Kaytron Allen (867) became the first freshmen teammates in Big Ten history each with 700+ rushing yards in a season.
- Singleton and Allen are the only Penn State duo to each rush for 850+ yards and one of three 800+ rushing yard duos.
- Led the Big Ten in 30+ yard runs (9; 3rd nationally) and 40+ yard runs (7; 3rd) and tied for second in 50+ yard runs (4; T-4th), 60+ yard runs (2; T-9th) and 20+ yard runs (12; T-18th).
- Finished second in the Big Ten and seventh nationally averaging 6.8 yards per carry.
- Led FBS freshmen in yards per carry and was second in all-purpose yardage (1,495).
- Tallied four 100-yard rushing games in 2022, including a season-high 179 against Ohio, and five multi-rushing touchdown games.
- Scored on an 87-yard run in the third quarter in the Rose Bowl Game against Utah. It is the third-longest run in Rose Bowl Game history.
The Maxwell Football Club has once again partnered with Pro Football Focus (PFF) and Phil Steele Publications as selection committee partners. PFF provides detailed metrics and performance-based assessments to selection committee staff, with several senior PFF analysts are members of our selection committee. Phil Steele’s College Football Preview is generally recognized as the most complete preseason magazine.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced November 13, 2023, while the three finalists for the Maxwell Award will be unveiled November 28, 2023. The winners of the 87th Maxwell Award will be announced as part of the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on December 7, 2023. The formal presentations of the Maxwell Award will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards in March 2024.
COURTESY PENN STATE COMMUNICATIONS