By Danielle Daniels
Redshirt senior is first player in school history to record multiple punt returns for touchdowns in a single game
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State football redshirt senior defensive back and punt returner Daequan Hardy has been named Big Ten Co-Special Teams Player of the Week along with Iowa punter Tory Taylor, it was announced on Monday.
- On his first career punt return, Hardy had a 56-yard punt return for a touchdown in the first quarter. The punt return for a touchdown is Penn State’s first since Jahan Dotson had an 80-yard punt return score in the 2020 Michigan State game.
- Hardy added a 68-yard punt return for a touchdown in the third quarter, becoming the first player in school history to record multiple punt returns for a touchdown in a single game.
- Since 2000, Hardy is the 25th FBS player to return two punt returns for touchdowns in a game. He is one of two Big Ten players joining Iowa’s Kevonte Martin-Manley (vs. Western Michigan, 2013).
- He is tied for the school record for most punt returns in a season with the two, joining Larry Johnson (2001), Bruce Branch (1999), O.J. McDuffie (1991) and Jimmy Cefalo (1977).
- Last Penn State Special Teams Player of the Week: Jake Pinegar (Nov. 14, 2022).
COURTESY PENN STATE ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS