By Carey Van Lue
GAME AT A GLANCE
1st – B. Jenner, CBJ (3-0-3); 2nd – J. Gaudreau, CBJ (0-2-2); 3rd – D. Jiricek, CBJ (1-0-1)
Columbus: B. Jenner (1), PP – B. Jenner (2), B. Jenner (3), D. Jiricek (1), J. Danforth (1)
NY Rangers: E. Gustafsson (1), W. Cuylle (1), PP – C. Kreider (3)
Columbus: E. Merzlikins (24 saves on 25 shots on 39:54 TOI, W); S. Martin (15 saves on 17 shots on 20:00 TOI)
NY Rangers: I. Shesterkin (16 saves, L)
Columbus PP: 1-for-1, 2 shots
NY Rangers PP: 1-for-3, 5 shots
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets captured their first victory of the season with tonight’s 5-3 win over the Rangers.
- CBJ have now picked up points in 12 of the last 20 games in the all-time series against New York since Feb. 26, 2017 (11-8-1).
- The winning team in the series has scored four-plus goals in seven of the last eight meetings.
- The Blue Jackets killed off two-of-three of New York’s power play attempts tonight and have now killed off 11-of-15 Rangers’ power play attempts since Oct. 23, 2022 (73.3 pct.).
- Columbus have killed off 5-of-6 opponent power plays to start the 2023-24 season (83.3 pct.).
- With tonight’s win, Pascal Vincent earned his first victory as a head coach in the NHL.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- C Boone Jenner scored three goals to notch his second career hat trick (also Mar. 12, 2019 vs. BOS). It marks the eighth natural hat trick in franchise history (fourth at home) and just the third in the past decade following Emil Bemstrom (May 3, 2021) and Bradon Saad (April 2, 2016). It is also the earliest hat trick scored in a season, besting the previous mark held by Tyler Wright (8 games into 2002-03 season on Oct. 27, 2002 vs. Los Angeles). Jenner has recorded points in each of the first two games of the season (3-1-4) and ranks fourth in points in franchise history with 173-160-333 in 659 games (one behind No. 3 Nick Foligno).
« D David Jiricek notched his first career NHL goal in his first game of the season. Last season, he appeared in four games with the Blue Jackets.
« LW Johnny Gaudreau registered his first multi-point game of the season with 0-2-2 and now has 21-55-76 in 82 career games with the Blue Jackets. His 0.93 points-per-game sits tied with Ray Whitney (0.93 in 151 GP) for the second-highest mark in franchise history (min. 5 GP) and behind Artemi Panarin (1.06 in 160 GP). He improved to 9-10-19 in 18 career games vs. the Rangers, including six career multi-point efforts.
« D Ivan Provorov tallied his first multi-assist game of the season and 19th of his career with 0-2-2, including notching his first point as a Blue Jacket on Jenner’s second goal in the opening period.
« RW Kirill Marchenko recorded his third assist of the campaign, giving him assists in two consecutive outings (0-3-3).
« F Patrik Laine recorded his first assist of the season, giving him points each of the first two contests of the 2023-24 campaign (1-1-2). He now has 4-4-8 in 12 career outings vs. New York, including 0-3-3 in his last three home contests against the club.
« D Jake Bean registered his first assist of the campaign and now has points in both games this season (1-1-2).
« RW Justin Danforth scored his first goal of the season to give him 1-0-1 in 2 GP.
« C Cole Sillinger tallied his first point of the campaign with the first assist on Danforth’s third period goal (0-1-1 in 2 GP).
« C Kent Johnson made his season debut tonight, recording the second assist on Danforth’s third period goal.
BLUE JACKETS POST-GAME AUDIO INTERVIEWS
RANGERS POST-GAME AUDIO INTERVIEWS
Monday, Oct. 16 vs. Detroit Red Wings – 7 pm ET at Nationwide Arena
COURTESY BLUE JACKETS COMMUNICATIONS