FROM WIKIPEDIA COMMONS
Theta Xi (ΘΞ) is a North American Greek-letter social college fraternity. It was founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) on April 29, 1864. Of all the social fraternities today, Theta Xi was the only one founded during the Civil War. Its Grand Lodge is headquartered in suburban St. Louis, Missouri. Since its inception, Theta Xi has grown to include more than 60,000 initiated members. Currently, there are approximately 50 active chapters, and 3 colonies. The Theta Xi Fraternity Chapter House at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
THE PURPOSE OF THETA Xi
The Purpose of Theta Xi is to provide a college home environment for its active members in which fellowship and alumni guidance lead to wholesome mental, moral, physical, and spiritual growth. To that end Theta Xi actively supports and augments college and community efforts to make individual members more mature and chapter groups more useful units of society. Through its alumni and undergraduate leadership Theta Xi endeavors to assist each member to develop: ONE, intellectual curiosity that assures the highest scholarship rating consistent with his ability; TWO, habits that lead to better mental and physical health; THREE, sincerity in his association with others and confidence in himself; FOUR, responsibility to chapter, college, community, and country; FIVE, leadership that comes from practicing the principles of democratic self-government; SIX, interests and activities outside regular scholastic studies that employ spare time to advantage; SEVEN, spiritual understanding that provides a reservoir of strength to draw upon when faced with conditions beyond comprehension.
Question of the Day
I’ve heard that if you cut your hair on a full Moon, your hair grows healthier and faster. Is this true?
According to folklore, if hair is cut during the Moon’s waxing phase (between new and full), growth is encouraged. The opposite will occur if hair is cut during the waning phase (the day after the Moon is full to the day before it’s new).
Advice of the Day
Dream of kisses, and you dream of treachery.
Home Hint of the Day
A board foot is a unit of measure corresponding to a block of wood 12-inch long x 12-inch wide x 1-inch thick.
Word of the Day
Of Polynesian origin. To color, as the flesh, by pricking in coloring matter, so as to form marks or figures which can not be washed out.
Puzzle of the Day
What is never out of sight?
The letter S.
- William Hearst (editor/publisher) – 1863
- Duke Ellington (musician) – 1899
- Hirohito (emperor of Japan) – 1901
- Fred Zinnemann (director of film) – 1907
- Dale Earnhardt (race car driver) – 1951
- Jerry Seinfeld (comedian & actor) – 1954
- Daniel Day-Lewis (actor) – 1957
- Eve Plumb (actress) – 1958
- Carnie Wilson (singer) – 1968
- Uma Thurman (actress) – 1970
- Andre Agassi (tennis player) – 1970
- Alfred Hitchcock (filmmaker) – 1980
- William J. Bell (writer and producer) – 2005
- Bob Hoskins (actor) – 2014
- Jacob Hummel received patent for varnish of elastic gum– 1813
- Theta Xi, first professional fraternity, founded, Troy, New York– 1864
- A landslide in Frank, Alberta, killed at least 70 people– 1903
- U.S. president Hoover received King and Queen of Siam– 1931
- Prisoners liberated at Dachau– 1945
- ABC’s Wide World of Sports premiered– 1961
- Proposed Newfoundland flag design was revealed– 1980
- The first condor to be conceived in captivity hatched at the San Diego Wild Animal Park helping to bring the species back from the brink of extinction– 1988
- The World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., opened to the public– 2004
- A perfect pink ring around the Sun was visible for several hours from Key Largo to Key West, Florida. It’s known as the rare halo phenomenon, a refraction of light through multiple layers of ice-crystal clouds in the upper levels of the atmosphere. A halo usually indicates that rain is on the way.– 2008
- Prince William married Catherine Middleton– 2011
- Mikah Meyer completed a 3-year journey to visit all 419 U.S. National Park Service sites– 2019
- 2.4 inches of rain fell within 15 minutes in Taylor, Texas– 1905
- Weather device TOTO hit by weak tornado– 1984
- A storm produced a flash of lightning that stretched a horizontal distance of 477.2 miles across Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. The event set a world record for the longest single lightning bolt. – 2020