DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will play VCU on Sunday in the championship game of the 2023 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championships. Game time is 1 p.m. ET.
Dayton, the tournament second seed, is now 22-11 after Saturday’s 78-68 semifinal win over Fordham. Toumani Camara set an A-10 tournament record by making 12 of 13 shots in the game (.923). He led the way with 27 points. DaRon Holmes II added 20 points and Malachi Smith added 11 with seven assists. UD made 23 of 28 two-point FGA in the game.
Sunday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on CBS and streamed on CBSSportscom. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. He set an A-10 tournament single-game record for FG% by making 12 of 13 shots in the Fordham win. He made his last 12 shots in the game, just one shy of the Flyer single-game record.
• Camara leads the A-10 in rebounding (8.7).
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (41) and is second in blocked shots (28). He is the only player in the A-10 in the top 20 of both.
• DaRon Holmes II and Toumani Camara were named First Team All-Atlantic 10 and All-Defensive Team on March 7. Mike Sharavjamts is on the All-Rookie Team.
• Holmes was on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Top 10 of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (18.1), and is second in rebounding (7.9.) He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top five in both.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (88). Washington’s Braxton Meah (82) is second. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 10.8 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.7 ppg. in the losses (9.1 for the season).
• Malachi Smith (ankle) came back after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last 11 games, he has 67 assists and 17 turnovers. He also missed the game at VCU with an ankle injury.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last 11 games, he is 17 of 45 from three (.378). He had seven assists (0 TO) at Loyola.
• Koby Brea is averaging 8.6 ppg. in his last 11 games
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (15) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — have missed a total of 35 games between them in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• Dayton’s starting lineup at VCU came from five different countries — Belgium (Toumani Camara), Canada (Kobe Elvis), Finland (Mustapha Amzil) Mongolia (Mike Sharavjamts) and the USA (DaRon Holmes II).
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 60.8 points per game. VCU is second at 63.1 Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 19 times in 32 games (including 50 or less six times).
• Sunday’s winner will earn the Atlantic 10’s automatic berth in the 2023 NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will play VCU on Sunday in the championship game of the 2023 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championships. Game time is 1 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS