DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will play Fordham Saturday in the semifinals of the 2023 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championships. Game time is 3:30 p.m. ET.
Dayton, the tournament second seed, is now 21-11 on the season. UD opened A-10 tournament play with a 60-54 win over Saint Joseph’s. Toumani Camara led the way with a 17-point, 18 rebounds performance. DaRon Holmes II also had 17 points and Malachi Smith added 11.
Saturday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, and televised on the CBS Sports Network and Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. He was named the A-10 Player of the Week on Feb. 13 after averaging 21.5 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting .700 (14-20) from the field and .800 (4-5) beyond the arc in Flyer wins over VCU and Saint Louis.
• Camara leads the A-10 in rebounding (8.8).
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (41) and is second in blocked shots (27). He is the only player in the A-10 in the top 20 of both.
• DaRon Holmes II and Toumani Camara were named First Team All-Atlantic 10 and All-Defensive Team on March 7. Mike Sharavjamts is on the All-Rookie Team.
• Holmes was on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Top 10 of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (18.0), and is second in rebounding (7.9.) He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top five in both.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (85). Washington’s Braxton Meah (82) is second. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 10.9 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.7 ppg. in the losses (9.1 for the season).
• Malachi Smith (ankle) came back after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last 10 games, he has 60 assists and 13 turnovers. He also missed the game at VCU with an ankle injury.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last 11 games, he is 17 of 45 from three (.378). He had seven assists (0 TO) at Loyola.
• Koby Brea is averaging 9.4 ppg. in his last 11 games
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (13) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — have missed a total of 34 games between them in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• Dayton’s starting lineup at VCU came from five different countries — Belgium (Toumani Camara), Canada (Kobe Elvis), Finland (Mustapha Amzil) Mongolia (Mike Sharavjamts) and the USA (DaRon Holmes II).
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 60.6 points per game. VCU is second at 62.7. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 19 times in 32 games (including 50 or less six times).
• Saturday’s semifinal winners (VCU plays Saint Louis in the other semi) will play in the championship game of the A-10 tournament on Sunday.
• Game time is 1 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS