DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is back home Saturday to play George Mason. Game time is 6 p.m. ET. It is UD’s Hall of Fame Game. The 2023 Hall of Fame Class — Lindsay Fletemier (volleyball), Brooks Hall (basketball), Dave Jones (football) and Stephanie Weisenfeld Kerins (soccer) will be introduced at halftime.
Dayton is now 19-9 overall and 11-4 in the Atlantic 10 after Wednesday’s 72-54 win at UMass. UD is second in the A-10, a game behind VCU. At UMass, DaRon Homes II led with 22 points. Toumani Camara (11 points), Koby Brea (11) and Kobe Elvis (10) also reached double digits.
Saturday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on ESPNU and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. He was named the A-10 Player of the Week on Feb. 13 after averaging 21.5 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting .700 (14-20) from the field and .800 (4-5) beyond the arc in Flyer wins over VCU and Saint Louis.
• Camara leads the league in rebounding (8.9).
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (35) and is second in blocked shots (25). He is the only player in the A-10 in the top 15 of both.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
• Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Top 10 of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (17.7), and is second in rebounding (7.9.) He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top five in both.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (76). Washington’s Braxton Meah (71) and Purdue’s Zach Edey (65) are next. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 11.1 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.6 ppg. in the losses (9.3 for the season).
• Malachi Smith (ankle) came back after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last nine games, he has 54 assists and 11 turnovers. He also missed the game at VCU with an ankle injury.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last eight games, he is 14 of 36 from three (.389). He had seven assists (0 TO) at Loyola.
• Koby Brea is averaging 9.6 ppg. in his last eight games
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (12) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — have missed a total of 33 games between them in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• Dayton’s starting lineup at VCU came from five different countries — Belgium (Toumani Camara), Canada (Kobe Elvis), Finland (Mustapha Amzil) Mongolia (Mike Sharavjamts) and the USA (DaRon Holmes II).
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 60.5 points per game. VCU is second at 62.8. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 17 times in 28 games (including 50 or less six times).
• The Flyers host La Salle Tuesday at 7 p.m. ET on Senior Night.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS