Question of the Day
What is the incubation period of a chicken egg?
The incubation period is 21 days.
Advice of the Day
Never descend to flatter or withhold a deserved compliment.
Home Hint of the Day
To tighten a glass doorknob that is loose and spins freely in its metal mounting, force a drop of super glue into the joint between the metal and glass in at least two places.
Word of the Day
9 inches; derived from the distance between the end of the thumb and the end of the little finger when both are outstretched.
Puzzle of the Day
What sort of face does an auctioneer like best?
One that is for-bidding.
- Queen Mary I of England – 1516
- Louis Comfort Tiffany (artist) – 1848
- Toni Morrison (author) – 1931
- Cybill Shepard (actress) – 1950
- John Travolta (actor) – 1954
- Vanna White (game show hostess) – 1957
- Matt Dillon (actor) – 1964
- Molly Ringwald (actress) – 1968
- Harry Caray (sportscaster) – 1998
- Dale Earnhardt (race car driver) – 2001
- Wallace Smith Broecker (American geochemist) – 2019
- Jefferson Davis inaugurated as provisional president of Confederate states– 1861
- First session of Confederate Congress, Richmond, Virginia– 1862
- Auguste Bartholdi granted design patent for Statue of Liberty– 1879
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn published in the U.S.– 1885
- First coiled postage stamps issued– 1908
- Planet Pluto discovered by Clyde W. Tombaugh at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona– 1930
- Elm Farm Ollie, a Guernsey, became the first cow to fly in an airplane. On the same trip she also became the first cow milked in flight– 1930
- First unmanned test flight of space shuttle Enterprise mounted on another aircraft– 1977
- Hiroyuki Goto recited pi to 42,195 digits– 1995
- Trinity Broadcasting Network, a Christian TV network, cancelled Pat Boone’s weekly gospel music show after he appeared in black leather and fake tattoos on the American Music Awards show– 1997
- Evan Lysacek won the Olympic gold medal in men’s figure skating. He became the first U.S. man to win the gold medal since Brian Boitano in 1988– 2010
- Firenado captured on video, Platte County, Missouri– 2016
- San Francisco, California, recorded a temperature of 80 degrees F– 1899
- New England experienced extremely high temperatures, with Boston, Massachusetts at 66, Providence, Rhode Island at 72, and Concord, New Hampshire, at 63 degrees F– 1981
- An F4 tornado struck Van Wert County in Ohio – 1992
- Seventy-four degrees, McLean, Virginia– 2008