DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will play a game on the Loyola campus for the first time in 42 years on Friday when the Flyers visit the Ramblers. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 17-9 overall and 9-4 in the Atlantic 10 after Friday’s 70-56 win over Saint Louis. UD is currently second in the A-10, a half-game behind first-place VCU . Toumani Camara led four Flyers in double figures with 17 points and 10 rebounds. DaRon Homes II scored c15 points, Malachi Smith had 14 and Koby Brea added 13.
Friday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on ESPN2 and streamed on ESPN+. the Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. He was named the A-10 Player of the Week on Monday after averaging 21.5 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting .700 (14-20) from the field and .800 (4-5) beyond the arc in Flyer wins over VCU and Saint Louis last week.
• Speaking of college career highs, Camara had 31 points in the Loyola win.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (32) and is second in blocked shots (24). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
• Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Top 10 of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (17.5), and is second in rebounding (7.9.) He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top five in both.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (70). Purdue’s Zach Edey and Washington’s Braxton Meah are second with 63. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 11.8 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.6 ppg. in the losses (9.6 for the season).
• Malachi Smith (ankle) came back after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last seven games, he has 43 assists and eight turnovers. He also missed the game at VCU with an ankle injury.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last five games, he is 12 of 28 from three (.429). He had six assists (0 TO) at St. Bonaventure.
• Koby Brea is averaging 10.5 ppg. in his last six games
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (12) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — have missed a total of 33 games between them earlier in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• Dayton’s starting lineup at VCU came from five different countries — Belgium (Toumani Camara), Canada (Kobe Elvis), Finland (Mustapha Amzil) Mongolia (Mike Sharavjamts) and the USA (DaRon Holmes II).
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 61.2 points per game. VCU is second at 63.2. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 15 times in 26 games (including 50 or less five times).
• The Flyers are at UMass on Wednesday, Feb. 22. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
• Dayton’s next home game is Saturday, Feb. 25 vs. George Mason at 6 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS