Devils to Watch
« D Dougie Hamilton, who has collected points in seven-straight games (5-9-14), ranks second among NHL blueliners in goals, fourth in points and sixth in assists with 15-37-52 in 52 games this season.
« C Jack Hughes sits tied for third in the NHL in goals and ninth in points and has already set single-season career highs in goals, assists and points with 35-32-67 in 50 contests in 2022-23.
« G Vitek Vanecek ranks fourth-T in the League in goals-against average and seventh in wins with a 22-5-3 record, 2.32 GAA, .916 save percentage and two shutouts in 34 appearances.
« Columbus is 27-15-3 in 45 all-time meetings vs. New Jersey, including 16-7-0 at home.
« The club has won 15 of the last 19 games of the series dating back to Mar. 5, 2017 (15-3-1), outscoring the Devils 59-36 over that stretch.
« The Blue Jackets have won the last seven home games in the series since Feb. 10, 2018, outscoring the Devils 30-10. The club has scored four-plus goals in each of the last five home victories.
« CBJ have recorded power play goals in two of the last three meetings (2-of-8; 25.0 pct.) and three of the past five (3-of-14; 21.4 pct.).
« Columbus owns four of the seven shutouts in the all-time series with Elvis Merzlikins registering the most recent one with 41 saves in a 5-0 win on Jan. 18, 2020 at Nationwide Arena.
« The Blue Jackets own the lone hat trick in the series when Nick Foligno notched one on Feb. 25, 2016 in a 6-1 win in Columbus.
« Oct. 30, 2022 – at NJD 7, CBJ 1
« Feb. 14, 2023 – at COLUMBUS (7 p.m. ET)
« Apr. 6, 2023 – at New Jersey (7 p.m. ET)
Player Notables vs. New Jersey
« LW Johnny Gaudreau – 6-16-22 in 14 GP with points in all but three of his contests, including points in eight consecutive games played against the club (6-12-18) prior to the clubs’ first meeting of the season on October 30 and points in six of his seven career home appearances (5-8-13) and each of the last four-straight (4-6-10).
« C Boone Jenner – 10-7-17 in 30 career GP, including 2-1-3 in his last three contests overall and 3-5-8 with three multi-point efforts in his last seven home contests.
« G Joonas Korpisalo – 5-2-0, 1.85 GAA and .934 SV% in 7 career GP, including wins in four of his last five appearances since Jan. 15, 2019 and a 4-0-0 record with a 1.50 GAA and .944 SV% in four career home contests.
« LW Patrik Laine – 5-4-9 in 13 GP, including assists in each of his last two home contests (1-2-3).
BLUE JACKETS TEAM NOTES
- The Blue Jackets kicked off the post NHL All-Star break splitting a home-and-home series against the Toronto Maple Leafs, falling 3-0 at Nationwide Arena on Friday and earning a 4-3 victory at Scotiabank Arena on Saturday.
- Columbus is 3-3-2 in its last eight games overall, including 1-1-1 at home since January 21.
- Trailing 2-0 in Toronto on Saturday, the Blue Jackets earned their eighth comeback victory of the campaign (fourth multi-goal comeback win).
- CBJ close out a stretch of four-straight games against the Eastern Conference on Tuesday. The club will then play six-straight against the Western Conference from February 16-26, including four consecutive contests against the Central Division.
- The club has killed off 27-of-33 opponent power plays over the last 13 games dating back to January 12 (81.8 pct.).
- The Jackets have scored on 5-of-22 chances (22.7 pct.) over their last eight contests dating back to January 21.
- Columbus blueliners have registered 6-16-22 in the last 14 contests and 22-57-79 in 53 games this season.
- CBJ rookies combined for 2-2-4 and scored the game-winning goal on Saturday. They have combined for 19-15-34 over the last 22 games and lead all NHL teams in goals and rank second in points with 32-33-65 in 53 contests in 2022-23. It’s the fourth-most goals scored by team rookies in franchise history, trailing only 2017-18 (37), 2019-20 (35) and 2000-01 (33). RW Kirill Marchenko (14) and C Kent Johnson (11) are the third pair of rookie teammates to score double digit goals in a single season in club history, joining C Serge Aubin (13) and RW David Vyborny (13) in 2000-01 and C Pierre-Luc Dubois (20) and LW Sonny Milano (14) in 2017-18.
BLUE JACKETS PLAYER NOTES
- LW Johnny Gaudreau skated in his seventh career NHL All-Star – and first representing the Blue Jackets – on February 4. He has collected points in seven of his last nine games (2-7-9) after collecting an assist on Saturday. He leads the team in assists and points with 14-36-50 in 53 contests this season and set the franchise record for fewest games played to record 50 career points, surpassing the mark set by Ray Whitney (56 GP).
- C Boone Jenner registered his sixth multi-point effort of the campaign with 1-1-2 on Saturday and has notched 4-2-6 in his last eight contests.
- C Kent Johnson collected his fifth multi-point outing of the season on Saturday (1-1-2) and has 3-4-7 in the past eight contests. He ranks fourth-T among NHL rookies in points, fifth-T in goals and seventh in points-per-game (min. 20 GP) with 11-15-26 in 50 contests (.52 Pt/GP).
- LW Patrik Laine has tallied 2-7-9 in his last nine outings. He has collected 5-10-15 in his last 14 contests to raise his season totals to 14-17-31 in 38 contests.
- RW Kirill Marchenko recorded his third multi-point effort of the campaign with 1-1-2, picking up his first career assist in the victory. He ranks second among NHL rookie goal scorers in 2022-23 with 14-1-15 in 30 games and leads League rookies in goals and ranks third-T in points since making his NHL debut on December 6. He was the third player in NHL history to have each of his first 13 (or more) career regular-season points come solely in the form of goals, joining Joe Malone (16-0-16 in 1917-18 w/ MTL) and John McKinnon (13-0-13 in 1926-27 w/ PIR).
- RW Mathieu Olivier has registered assists in two of the last three games and has set career highs in assists, points and games played this season with 3-6-9 in 48 games.
- D Andrew Peeke recorded eight hits and eight blocked shots in Saturday’s victory, tying his career high in both categories (second time for both). He ranks 13th in the NHL with 111 blocked shots in 2022-23.
- C Jack Roslovic collected an assist on Saturday and has picked up 3-19-22 in 32 outings since December 1 after totaling 1-5-6 in his first 18 games of the campaign.
BLUE JACKETS MILESTONES
- D Gavin Bayreuther is seven games from 100 for his NHL career (5-15-20, 93 GP).
- D Erik Gudbranson in seven games from 700 for his NHL career (28-76-104, 693 GP).
- C Sean Kuraly is two games from 400 for his NHL career (48-64-112, 398 GP).
- LW Patrik Laine is 10 goals from 200 for his NHL career (190-168-258, 445 GP).
- RW Mathieu Olivier is four games from 100 for his NHL career (6-10-16, 96 GP).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
- D Jake Bean (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 17); out 4-to-6 months (38 games)
- RW Yegor Chinakhov (ankle) is on Injured Reserve (Dec. 20); 4 weeks (22 games)
- C/RW Justin Danforth (torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (47 games)
- RW Carson Meyer (oblique strain) is on Injured Reserve (Jan. 10); 6-to-8 weeks (13 games)
- LW Gustav Nyquist (shoulder) is on Injured Reserve (Jan. 25); expected to miss rest of reg. season (5 games)
- LW Jakub Voracek (upper body) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (42 games)
- D Zach Werenski (shoulder separation/torn labrum) is on Injured Reserve (Nov. 10); expected to miss rest or reg. season (40 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 361
COURTESY CBJ COMMUNICATIONS