DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is back on the road Tuesday when the Flyers travel to Richmond, Va. to play VCU. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 15-9 overall and 7-4 in the Atlantic 10 after Saturday’s 68-59 loss at St. Bonaventure. UD is currently tied for third in the A-10 with St. Bonaventure, two games behind first-place VCU and a half-game behind Saint Louis. DaRon Holmes II had a game-high 21 points, and Toumani Camara had 12 points and 17 rebounds at Bona.
Tuesday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio and televised on the CBS Sports Network. ESPNU Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 9.0 rebounds a game lead in the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in nine games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU, as well as 17 at St. Bonaventure.
• Speaking of college career highs, Camara had 31 points in the Loyola win.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (30) and is second in blocked shots (24). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
• Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (17.8), and is second in rebounding (7.7). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top four in both. In A-10 play, he is averaging 18.0 ppg, while only taking 10.8 shots per game. He is shooting .630 (75-119) FG and .692 (45-65) in conference play.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (66). Purdue’s Zach Edey is second with 61. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.5 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.6 ppg. in the losses (9.9 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts had 56 assists in 14 starts at point. He has 21 (w/6 TO) in his last 7 games.
• Koby Brea missed his first three-point attempt, and then made his next six to score 18 points vs. Richmond. He scored 12 points (4-4 3-pt.) in front of a personal fan club of 300 at Fordham.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) returned after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last six games, he has 37 assists and five turnovers.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last five games, he is 11 of 22 from three (500). He had six assists (0 TO) at St. Bonaventure.
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (12) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — missed a total of 32 games between them earlier in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 61.5 points per game. VCU is second at 63.3. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 13 times (including 50 or less five times).
• UD’s next game at UD Arena on Friday, Feb. 10 vs. Saint Louis. Game time is 8 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS