COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 10/10 Ohio State Buckeyes (20-4, 9-4 B1G) fell to No. 8/9 Maryland (19-5, 10-3 B1G) on Sunday afternoon by a 90-54 margin.
Maryland scored the final 12 points of the first quarter to lead 19-7 after 10 minutes. Both teams scored 23 points in the second quarter as the Buckeyes trailed 42-30 going into the locker room. The Terrapins pulled away with the 27-14 advantage in the third quarter to lead 69-44 after 30 minutes. Maryland had the advantage in the fourth quarter as well.
Taylor Thierry was the first Buckeye to reach double figures, doing so for the 18th time this season midway through the second quarter and finishing with 21 points. Taylor Mikesell had her 23rd double-figure game of the season, totaling 12 points.
How it Happened
Maryland opened with the first five points of the game before Cotie McMahon got Ohio State onto the board with a layup. The teams were tied at seven at the media timeout. Maryland scored the next eight points to build a 15-7 lead, forcing an OSU timeout with 2:23 to play in the first quarter. The Terps held the 19-7 advantage after 10 minutes.
Both teams scored quickly at the beginning of the second quarter, alternating baskets for the first couple minutes. Thierry had a pair of three-pointers and a basket by Taylor Mikesell got the Buckeyes within single digits at 32-24 midway through the quarter. Ohio State trailed 42-30 going into the locker room.
Thierry scored the first seven points for the Buckeyes in the third quarter as OSU trailed 54-37 with 5:32 remaining in the quarter. The deficit remained at 17 points (59-42) at the media timeout with 4:08 to play in the third. Maryland scored the final eight points of the quarter to take a 69-44 lead after 30 minutes.
Maryland outscored Ohio State 9-4 in the first three minutes, increasing the lead to 78-48 before a Buckeye timeout. The Terrapins strung together a 14-0 run midway through the quarter and scoring was capped at 90-54.
- Taylor Thierry scored in double figures for the 18th time this season as she was the first Buckeye to surpass 10 points midway through the second quarter. Thierry totaled 21 points, surpassing the 20-point mark for the fifth time this season, and tied the team-high with seven rebounds.
- Taylor Mikesell reached double figures for the 23rd time this season, finishing with 12 points.
- Eboni Walker tied her season-high seven rebounds to tie for the team high.
- Jacy Sheldon returned to the lineup, making her first appearance since Nov. 30 at Louisville.
- Q2: Ohio State shot 9-of-17 (.529) from the floor and 3-of-6 (.500) from long range during the second quarter.
Ohio State hosts Minnesota on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. tip. The game will be broadcast on B1G+. The Buckeyes will be celebrating Black History Month.
To support Ohio State women’s basketball throughout the season here on campus, fans may purchase single game tickets for all remaining home games HERE. Applicable service fees will apply to all tickets. For group tickets and any questions, contact an account representative at 1-800-GO-BUCKS or via email at email@example.com. All group tickets must be purchased in advance.
COURTESY OSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS