DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team returns to the road Saturday when the Flyers visit St. Bonaventure. Game time is 8 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 15-8 overall and 7-3 in the Atlantic 10 after Tuesday’s 85-81 overtime win over Loyola. UD is currently third in the A-10, one game behind first-place VCU and a half-game behind Saint Louis. Toumani Canara had a career-high 32 points, and Malachi smith had a career-high 21 vs. Loyola. Kobe Elvis had 13 and Mustapha Amzil added 11.
Saturday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on ESPNU and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 8.7 rebounds a game are second in the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in eight games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Speaking of college career highs, Camara had 31 points in the Loyola win.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (30) and is second in blocked shots (24). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
• Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (17.7), and is second in rebounding (8.0). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top four in both. In A-10 play, he is averaging 17.7 ppg, while only taking 11.1 shots per game. He is shooting .613 (68-111) FG and .691 (38-55) in conference play.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (60). Purdue’s Zach Edey is second with 58. Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.5 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.5 ppg. in the losses (10.1 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts had 56 assists in 14 starts at point. He has 20 (w/6 TO) in his last 6 games.
• Koby Brea missed his first three-point attempt, and then made his next six to score 18 points vs. Richmond. He scored 12 points (4-4 3-pt.) in front of a personal fan club of 300 at Fordham.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) returned after missing 11 games in the Davidson win. He returned to the starting lineup vs. Richmond, and had a career-high 13 assists (1 turnover). In the next game he had 21 points with eight assists (no turnovers). In his last five games, he has 34 assists and four turnovers.
• Kobe Elvis (knee) returned for GW after missing the previous 12 games. He played 13 minutes at GW, and scored 14 points in 22 minutes at URI. He had 14 points vs. Loyola. In the last four games, he is 11 of 19 from three (579).
•Smith (14 games), Elvis (12) and Brea (6) — UD’s top three returning guards — missed a total of 32 games between them earlier in 2022-23 due to injuries.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 61.2 points per game. VCU is second at 63.2. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 13 times (including 50 or less five times).
• Dayton remains on the road Tuesday, Feb. 7 at VCU at 7 p.m. ET.
• UD’s next home game is Friday, Feb. 10 vs. Saint Louis. Game time is 8 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS