DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team is on the road for a pair of games, starting on Saturday with a game at George Washington. Game time in D.C. is 12:30 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 13-6 and tied for first place in the Atlantic 10 with Saint Louis and VCU with a 5-1 record after Tuesday’s 68-61 win at home over Davidson. Mustapha Amzil led UD with 19 points, with Toumani Camara adding 15. Mike Sharavjamts had nine points and seven assists.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returned all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Saturday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on the USA Network and streamed at NBCSports.com. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 9.1 rebounds a game lead the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in eight games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Speaking of college career highs, Camara had 27 points at home against VCU on Jan. 13.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (26) and is second in blocked shots (23). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes is on a pair of prestigious watch lists — the mid-season USBWA Oscar Robertson Player of the Year and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (18.6), is second in rebounding (8.0). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top three in both. In A-10 play, he is averaging 20.5 ppg, while only taking 11.2 shots per game. He is shooting .687 (46-67) FG and .750 (30-40) in conference play.
• Holmes leads the nation in dunks (50). Aziz Bandaogo of Utah Valley is second (48). Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.8 ppg. in UD’s wins, 6.2 ppg. in the losses (10.7 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts has 54 assists in 12 starts at point. He has 17 (w/4 TO) in his last 3 games.
• Koby Brea has 67 points in the last eight games as he returns to form after injuries and illness. He scored 12 points (4-4 3-pt.) in front of a personal fan club of 300 at Fordham.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) and Kobe Elvis (knee) are currently out with injuries suffered in the second half of the BYU game in the Battle 4 Atlantis. Elvis dressed for VCU.
•Smith, Elvis and Brea (UD’s top three returning guards) have missed a total of 33 games between them so far in 2022-23.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 58.7 points per game. VCU is second at 64.2. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 12 times, and 50 or less five times.
•UD’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• The Flyers are at Rhode Island on Wednesday, Jan. 25. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
• UD’s next home game is at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28 against Richmond.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS