DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team returns to UD Arena Friday night when the Flyers host VCU. Game time is 9 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 12-5 and in first place in the Atlantic 10 with a 4-0 record after an 82-58 win at Fordham on Tuesday. DaRon Holmes II’s 32 points, backed by Toumani Camara’s 15 and Koby Brea’s 12, propelled Dayton to its seventh straight win. Holmes matched his career high, set two games ago at Davidson. He and Camara combined to score 33 points in the second half.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returned all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Friday’s game will be heard on WHIO Radio, televised on ESPN2 and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 9.2 rebounds a game lead the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in seven games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (22) and is second in blocked shots (18). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the preseason John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (19.8), is second in rebounding (8.3). He is the only player in the A-10 to be in the top three in both. During UD’s seven-game win streak, he is averaging 25.7 ppg, while only taking 14.3 shots per game. He is shooting .710 (71-100) FG during it.
• Holmes leads the nations in dunks (48). Zach Edey of Purdue are Joel Soriano of St. John’s are second (41). Holmes led all freshmen and was sixth overall with 81 in 2021-22.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 12.3 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.8 ppg. in the losses (10.4 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts has 42 assists in his 10 starts at point.
• Koby Brea has 56 points in the last seven games as he returns to form after injuries and illness. He scored 12 points (4-4 3-pt.) in front of a personal fan club of 300 at Fordham.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) and Kobe Elvis (knee) are currently out with injuries suffered in the second half of the BYU game in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
•Smith, Elvis and Brea (UD’s top three returning guards) have missed a total of 30 games between them so far in 2022-23.
• The Flyers lead the A-10 in scoring defense at 58.4 points per game. VCU is second at 64.9. Dayton has allowed 60 or fewer points 12 times (last seven games), and 50 or less five times.
•UD’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• The Flyers will remain home on Jan. 17 to play Davidson at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS