DaRon Holmes II Tallies Seventh Double-Double Of The Year
DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team dominated the game from the defensive end to give the Flyers a 76-56 victory over Saint Joseph’s Wednesday night at UD Arena.
DaRon Holmes II scored a seventh double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds alongside R.J Blakney who scored 19, Toumani Camara with 14, and Mustapha Amzil with 11.
Dayton improves to 11-5 overall and 3-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference with its sixth consecutive win.
First Half — Dayton 38 , Saint Joseph’s 30
- SJU won the tip and scored first, marking the first time Dayton trailed in three-and-a half games.
- UD got on the board opened with a layup drive by Toumani Camara which was then followed by a R.J. Blakney three point bucket.
- The back-and-forth game remained a one-possession game until the 10:31 mark when the visiting Hawks took a five-point lead (20-15).
- St. Joe’s eventually led by six (25-19 with 8:53 left in the half).
- The Flyers scored the next 12 points in just over four minutes to take the lead for good. by one 15-16.
- DaRon Holmes II started the run with back-to-back buckets (both assisted in transition by Koby Brea in transition), Mike Sharavjamts drained a three and then Blakney scored the final five.
- Dayton’s largest lead of the half was the final eight-point margin.
- Blakney and Holmes II led the team with 10 points at the half.
- Dayton shot 54%(14-26) FG, and 45% (5-11) 3-pt.
Second Half – Dayton 76 , Saint Joseph’s 56
- UD led by double digits for the final 15:15 of the game, but did not get the margin up to 20 until the final minute.
- Dayton shot 61% (14-23) FG, and 56% (5-9) 3-pt.
- The Flyers held the Hawks to 28% shooting (8-29) and did not allow a field goal in the last 4:55 of the game.
- St. Joe’s scored 20 points in the game’s first 10 minutes, and 36 in the last 30 (including just four free throws in the final five minutes).
- Holmes had 10 points and seven of his rebounds in the second half.
BY THE NUMBERS
- DaRon Holmes II scored 20 points (8-12 FG, 4-4 FT) and had 12 rebounds giving him his seventh double-double of the season (and third straight).
- R.J Blakney scored a season-high 19 points (7-9 FG, 4-6 3-pt.). He was a team-high +23 in the game.
- Toumani Camara scored 14 points, and Mustapha Amzil added 11.
- Dayton recorded 21 assists on 28 made baskets. Camara had a college career-high six.
- Four other Flyers had at least three assists — Mike Sharavjamts had four, while Holmes, Amzil and Koby Brea each had three.
- Dayton had eight blocks. Holmes had three, and Blakney and Sharavjamts had two apiece.
- Dayton shot 57% (28-49) FG% alongside 50% (10-20) from beyond the arc. The three-point percentage and numbers of threes made were season highs.
- The Flyers have won 16 home games in a row, a streak that dates a calendar year. The last loss was a 53-52 decision vs. VCU on Jan. 5, 2022
- The Flyers travel to face off against Fordham on Tuesday, Jan. 10.
- Game time at Rose Hill Gym is 7 p.m. ET.
- UD’s next home game is Friday, Jan 13 against VCU.
- The VCU tip time is 9 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS