DAYTON — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team closes out the non-conference portion of the 2022-23 schedule on Tuesday, when the Flyers host Alcorn State. Game time is 7 p.m. ET.
Dayton is now 7-5 after Saturday’s 66-49 win at over Wyoming at the legends of basketball Showcase at the United Center in Chicago. DaRon Holmes II led three double-figure Flyers in scoring with 24 points. Toumani Camara impacting winning across the board with 17 points, nine rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocked shots, and led an impressive defensive effort that held the Cowboys 27 points under their average. Koby Brea added 10 points.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returned all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Tuesday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio, televised on Spectrum News 1, and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara is this season’s team captain. His 9.1 rebounds a game leads the team. He has rebounded double-digits in the four games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (18) and is second in blocked shots (14). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• Anthony Grant is the 13th active African-American D-I coach to reach 300 wins. The others are Tommy Amaker, Mike Anderson, Rod Barnes, Ed Cooley, Mike Davis, Leonard Hamilton, Ron Hunter, James Jones, Ritchie McKay, Lorenzo Romar and Kelvin Sampson.
• DaRon Holmes II (1st team), Toumani Camara (2nd team) and Malachi Smith (2nd team) were all named Preseason All-A-10. Holmes and Smith were also on the All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the L.A. Athletic Club’s John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (17.3), is second in rebounding (7.6). He also leads the UD with 25 blocked shots in the 12 games.
• Mustapha Amzil averages 13.4 ppg. in UD’s wins, 5.8 ppg. in the losses (10.5 for the season).
• Mike Sharavjamts has 29 assists in his five starts at point.
• Koby Brea returned to action for the first time in four games in the Western Michigan win. He has 21 points in the last two games (with 19 of those points coming in both second halves.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) and Kobe Elvis (knee) are currently out with injuries suffered in the second half of the BYU game in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
•Smith, Elvis and Brea (UD’s top three returning guards) have missed a total of 20 games between them so far in 2022-23.
• Dayton’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• UD opens the Atlantic 10 season at home Wednesday, Dec. 28 against Duquesne at 7 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS