Team Captain Toumani Camara Will Play In His 100th College Game
DAYTON –– The University of Dayton men’s basketball team will play its second straight game at UD Arena on Saturday, when Southeastern Louisiana comes to town. Game time is 2 p.m. ET
Dayton evened its record on Wednesday with a 67-47 win over Western Michigan. The Flyers were led by a combined 55 points from their starting front court. DaRon Holmes II led UD with 24 points and 10 boards, Toumani Camara had 17 on just eight shots (7-8 FG) and Mustapha Amzil also had a double-double with 14 and 10. Mike Sharavjamts had eight assists.
The Flyers are the preseason favorite in the Atlantic 10. Dayton returns all five starters from a team that finished 24-11, and tied for second in the A-10 with a 14-4 record.
Saturday’s game will be carried by WHIO Radio and streamed on ESPN+. Streaming audio, video and live stats will be available at DaytonFlyers.com.
• Toumani Camara has been a beast on the boards in 2022-23. His 9.4 rebounds a game leads the Atlantic 10. He has rebounded double-digits in the four games this year including a college career-high (Dayton and Georgia) 18 rebounds vs. SMU. He had six in 12 minutes before being injured and not returning at UNLV. He is this season’s team captain.
• Camara has also stepped up his already strong defensive game. He leads UD in steals (11) and is second in blocked shots (9). He guarded all five positions at different points vs. SMU.
• Camara is playing in his 100th career college game (57 at Georgia, 42 at Dayton) today.
• Anthony Grant is one win away from being the 13th active African-American D-I coach to reach 300 wins. The others are Tommy Amaker, Mike Anderson, Rod Barnes, Ed Cooley, Mike Davis, Leonard Hamilton, Ron Hunter, James Jones, Ritchie McKay, Lorenzo Romar and Kelvin Sampson.
• DaRon Holmes II (first team), Toumani Camara (second team) and Malachi Smith (second team) were all named Preseason All-Atlantic 10 in a vote of the coaches and selected media this year. Holmes and Smith were also on the Preseason All-Defensive Team.
•.Holmes has been named to a pair of prestigious watch lists — the L.A. Athletic Club’s John Wooden Player of the Year, and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame’s Karl Malone Award.
• Holmes leads UD in scoring (15.5), is second in rebounding (6.6). He also leads the A-10 with has 17 blocked shots in the eight games.
• Mustapha Amzil has reached double figures in all four wins. His 10.5 ppg. scoring average is second on the team. me in four games vs. Western Michigan.
• Koby Brea returned to action for the first time in four games in the Western Michigan win.
• Malachi Smith (ankle) and Kobe Elvis (knee) are currently out with injuries suffered in the second half of the BYU game in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
• Dayton’s four A-10 regular season losses last year included three by a total of four points.
• Dayton is at Virginia Tech on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m. ET.
• The Flyers are back home on Saturday, Dec. 10 against UNC Asheville. Tip time is 2 p.m. ET.
COURTESY DAYTON MEDIA RELATIONS